Monday, October 31, 2016

You thought perhaps I had run out of anything more to say. Not today.

Welcome back. Good to catch up with you today, on this Halloween observance, Monday, October 31, 2016. I saw a posting where this preacher fellow was obviously poking some fun at one of the popular modern interpretations of the Bible. He called out the name but I'm not. I do feel the same way about the liberties taken in that version, but since this funny jab had to do with a subject I'm very happy to discuss, here's how he said that particular version handled this verse, "In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart, because there is coffee." (John 16:33) I am aware that is not how that verse is presented in that translation. He was making a joke. And, since coffee, that is, for me, Community Coffee, does help make sense of this world, I thought I would share it. While that translation didn't really say that, it is called a thought for thought rendering of The Scriptures. It's very popular. Sadly, many of the texts are not even close to being true to the original language. The way I see it, the fellow reads the passage, thinks about it, and then renders it based on what he thinks. I don't know about you but when I go to God's Word I want to hear what God has to say, period, end of story. I've heard people who should know better talk about how this fellow's representation of truth has changed their lives. I know there's truth in his translation, however, much of it is not how the actual texts were breathed out. I'm all for making the clear rendering of the original texts as understandable as possible, but, never should there be any questions regarding thus says the Word of the Lord. Now you know what I think about it so I believe I will have me another cup of Community. Feel free to join me.

I believe we are planning on doing candy tonight. It will be the first time in many years. We will be using some wrapper type information with the handed out candy that promotes the Gospel and gives contact information for how to get in touch with our local assembly, (Church), if there should be a need for response and/or follow-up. You never know. The old missionary saying applies, "You can never take the Gospel to the wrong address." It's a way to share hope and what happens with the message is in God's hands. I shared before about a man on the porch of a Church who was obviously in a bad situation and on the wrong path in life. The pastor pleaded with the man to consider giving his heart to God. The man became angry and grabbed the Gospel tract from the pastor and wadded it up and threw it in the trashcan and stormed off. The pastor uttered a prayer and returned to his duties. After midnight, the wayward man was under great conviction. He felt compelled to return to that Church. He walked miles to get there. He dug around and found that wadded up Gospel tract and he read it. His eyes burst with tears as he cried out to God to save him. He later returned to that Church and during the service, he came forward and shared how God had changed him, for time and eternity. See what I mean?

As I continue to play the game of chicken as I race towards the election due date, I heard a sitting Republican congressman make a comment and while I'm not quoting it exactly, it went something like this, "I will not support Donald Trump. I will not promote his candidacy. But, I will vote for him because Hillary is that bad. She will be very bad for our country." For him, that puts it into perspective. For me, it is another piece of information as I continue to prayerfully weigh my options. I thought it was a good explanation for his thinking. That's why I shared it with you. I could say I am leaning towards voting Republican but that would be the same as it has been for the past 50 plus years. I suppose the worst thing for me is the concept of having to say 'anyone but' as a way of making a choice. I know. I recently quoted the long term big money conservative donor who said it was the choice between cancer and having a heart attack. Some choice. Right? At any rate, the clock continues. Because tomorrow it will be November and November is when the election is held. I can tell you are not that impressed with my deductive reasoning and that's okay. I suppose it's like the long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs who reportedly said, "It won't be long now." You can discuss that one among yourselves if you like. Meanwhile, have a great rest of the day Monday, and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: