Tuesday, October 18, 2016

“The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech.” ― George Bernard Shaw

Yep. It's Howdy Doody time so let's get this show on the road. We are working on this day, Tuesday, October 18, 2016. It showed up right after midnight, therefore, we need to see what we can do with it. You learn things when you go to a craft show. I was there to provide free photos with Santa but you can certainly observe a lot if you are watching. One thing jumped out at me. Ladies spend hours walking around, looking, and with little to show for their effort. I suppose they were doing what Granny Mac used to call it, "Pinching the calico." Hours. Where I was set up I had a ladies sewing club ministry right across from me. There were between 6 and 8 older ladies and I heard from them. Often. All day long. I found out what sewing club ladies do. They talk. Let me try to help you understand this. They tell us that ladies are more talkative. They typically speak some 20,000 words per day. Men, by contrast, do about 7,000. I'll be conservative here. Six ladies at 20,000 equal 120,000 words. I had no interest in using up my 7,000, although, they did their best to drag as many out of me as possible. That was interesting. I do admire the work they do. They take donated material and turn it into all kinds of quilts, scarves, doilies, potholders, and numerous other objects. They use the funds to support many needy causes. And, they talk. Women are resourceful. I guess they do listen at times because I read about an older lady who had double paned windows installed in her home. Many months lady the installer called asking why she had never paid the bill. The lady set him straight. She told him the sales guy made it crystal clear that these windows would pay for themselves within the first year. (I was at the craft show strictly as a volunteer from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. I didn't peruse any of the venues because I had zero interest in what they were selling. Sorry. I do appreciate our ladies using this program to raise funds for benevolent activities but it's just not my thing. I am 100% sure that I am unanimous in that perspective.)

Craft Person Extraordinaire, Mom Rawles.
My wife was out of town, therefore, we didn't end up with a new thingamabob that we just had to have. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against craft shows and I do know our ladies have raised thousands over the years used to support missionaries and other ministries. I also admire those who brought items to the show. In response to a question, I heard a lady say that she had made every item on display. She was near my station so I can testify to the fact that she had literally hundreds of items for sale. She had been a busy lady. The wife's mother, the late Mom Rawles, was a master craft maker. Her hands were amazing in sewing or in the making of about anything she put her mind to. On top of that, she was fast. I've watched her make things and honestly her hands were a blur. As they would have said back home, "That woman can sew up a storm." And, she could. We still have many examples of her clever handiwork. I'm okay with homemade, but, that doesn't mean I would go to a craft show to find something. The thing that was uncanny about Mom Rawles is how she could see something when she was out and about, and then she would figure out how to replicate it from scratch at home. If you ever stay in our home you will likely have one of her quilts on your bed. Now that is what I call a legacy because her memory lives on as we recall her great talent. And, she could do all those things and still be as Godly a woman as I have ever known. Amen.

I've made it clear many times that I've never been able to use any of those mother-in-law jokes that everyone likes so much. I've heard plenty. You know. Like the fellow who said he had mixed feelings because his mother-in-law had driven his new Cadillac off the cliff. Nothing like that for me. I know I was blessed beyond measure with my in-laws but I've been around enough folks to know that is not always the case. I've worked with fellows throughout my time here that were literally tied in knots because of their difficult relationship with their in-laws. I'm glad to say I've never experienced that. I don't think the wife has with my folks either. My father-in-law was always one of my most ardent supporters and encouragers. Believe me, I'm not bragging. Just stating the facts and along with it, calling it as what it really has been in our lives, a blessing from above. What an encouragement to know that your in-laws are calling out your name to our heavenly Father. My in-laws have gone on to their heavenly home. I do hope they knew how much they meant to me while they were still here. I did try to let them know that. We all should do that. The old saying about giving flowers while they are here is applicable. Thinking about all of these folks gives me a warm feeling of thankfulness. I pray that we all will be able to experience that kind of closeness. May God bless each one. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: