Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Conservative billionaire Charles Koch likened the choice between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump to a choice between cancer and a heart attack. ~ Time Magazine Online Edition, July 12, 2016

Good morning folks and welcome. It's that wonderful part of the week where some tend to get a lift out of it being halfway through the work week, hump day if you will. It is Wednesday, October 26, 2016, and I've decided not to bore you with a photo and quote from that camel that was at first a novelty and everyone liked him, then it was an over saturation when he was on so often it finally made folks want to run and hide, or at the very least, switch the channel. The wife informed me that she would very much like to vote early this year. She then asked me the pregnant question. How are we going to cast our vote this year? I felt terrible when I told her that I still didn't know for sure about the top of the ticket. We often vote straight Republican, not because we are impressed with the Republicans running, but mostly because of the continuing leftward slide of the Democrats, and we really don't have viable Independents to choose from. A straight ticket would include a vote for Trump and I am not yet able to reconcile that. She, of course, can vote her own conscience, however, we typically discuss and have traditionally voted the same way. Yes. I am very aware that time is slipping away. If I counted correctly, there are 13 days left before it will be the last day to make up my mind. My wife thinks I am a procrastinator by nature and practice but in this particular case, I plead insanity. I suppose the results will eventually finish the diagnosis, temporary or permanent.

I recall the angst when leftist women's groups ended up endorsing and supporting Bill Clinton. It appeared that his proven behavior with women was in direct opposition to all the principles they claimed to stand for. This all played out by their public lack of support for the women who had come forward, and how they not only failed to even acknowledge these ladies, but they went even further by endorsing Clinton. When asked, they said the issues were too important to allow these claims to interfere with their support. They reasoned about Supreme Court nominees, abortion rights, and other feminine causes at stake. The greater good was a stake, from their viewpoint. Fast forward to this year where the faith community is in many ways faced with a strikingly similar dilemma. Reports of reprehensible behavior must be set aside because of the same types of concerns. What will happen to any balance whatsoever if only left wing court nominees are appointed and liberal policies advanced? I really don't know what that says about core values or convictions but it does demonstrate the depravity involved in human rationalization. Who knew that pragmatism would become so popular? Just putting this out there, maybe as a way of explaining why I am still attempting to decide what to do. Maybe I needed it myself, again, for the first time. Or something like that. Thanks for indulging me.

Don't strain your eyes. The dates are 1961-63.
I don't consider myself to have any deep well thoughts, more like they are shallow pools fed by a multitude of independent thought springs. I know. That's a messed up description but I came up with it on my own, therefore, I think I will stick with it. It would not be the first time I've been underwater with my analogies. If there is a pun, you can be sure it was intended.This year's Future Farmers of America national meeting just concluded over this past weekend. I watched it off and on as it was pretty much covered gavel to gavel by RFD-TV, known as the farm channel. I am always encouraged hearing these kids do their speeches and to see so many of them receive recognition and awards for significant contributions in the agricultural world. I've said it before and I'll say it again, seeing the way in which these young men and women comport themselves gives hope for our future. It also gives me a good recollection of the time when I too proudly wore the jacket. I know. It was a long time ago. And, yes, I also know there's a reason I didn't zip up the jacket for the photo. I'm not certain the last time it was zipped up but I do know it hasn't been worn on a regular basis for more than 50 years. That would be reason enough for most people. Being in the FFA was good for me. Most of those medals on my jacket were achieved in test taking competitions. While we did live in a small rural town, our family didn't have farm animals milling about. However, I could read a book and take a test. I still remember that OIC was the abbreviated name for the hog breed, Ohio Improved Chester. That's a special breed of white hogs. I know some of you most likely didn't know that. I'm not sure that knowing that tidbit ever did much for me, but, I do know that all these years later I still love me some cured ham. I do. I really do. Enjoy the rest of your day and here's the FFA motto for us all to think about: "Learning to Do, Doing to Learn, Earning to Live, Living to Serve." Amen. ....More later.

No comments: