Friday, October 21, 2016

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad, For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.” ― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse

You might recall that Norad tracking radar to let kids know how soon Santa might visit their area. Well, I'm trying to do something similar in tracking this cold front. I need to stay on top of it because they tell us it will only be with us for 48 hours. After that, we go back to the heat and humidity. This means we need to fully capitalize on the 48 hours by doing our best to catch as many breaths of fresh air as we can. Cool air, at that. At last check, we were down to 58 degrees here and that made for a very pleasant ride in with my window down. As you can tell, a smidgen of cooler air is front and center as I sit here with the office door wide open, sipping on my Community on this Friday, October 21, 2016. Lord willing, the wife and I plan to attend the Celtic Thunder concert in downtown Houston tomorrow evening. No. I am not into boy bands. But I do love the Irish music and the great harmonies produced by these singers. We've been following the current group approach on the PBS specials since their American debut back in 2008. Their numerous compilations of songs released on video and CD have consistently ranked high in Billboard sales tracking. We've never seen them in person so we are looking forward to our night out on the town. Literally. The theater is actually just a few blocks from the place I called my home away from home for close to 24 years. (The hours I spent at that place most likely made it close to 40 years.) Back when I worked downtown I could have eaten out an entire week for the current cost of parking. I'll do my best to get ready to enjoy this little adventure and perhaps this little Irish blessing will help. "May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and the road downhill all the way to your door." (Traditional, unattributed)

My first cousin over in Georgia died of pancreatic cancer last year. He was the son of my real dad's twin brother. The two of us tried over a number of years to piece together some of our family history. For us, it did not go like those commercials on TV where they put in a person's name and suddenly an entire genealogy pops up. My cousin's daughter has now taken up the effort. We have messaged forth and back where I've attempted to share my stuff along with some encouragement. She will need it. I sent her the file I had accumulated. She recently participated in the DNA analysis program offered through the largest genealogical services company. She shared the results with me. Based on her report, we are 100% European and the highest percentage makes us most likely from Great Britain which would include Scotland and Wales with Ireland next in line. The lady I exchanged a lot of information with several years ago who was secondarily tracing our family had located some of our ancestors as far back as Colonial times and had perhaps located the ship some had come over on. She also was working to confirm information about several of our people and their participation in the Revolutionary War and in the Civil War. I pretty much wore myself down trying to uncover facts about our family history but I'm glad that we now have a younger set of eyes to look at everything. I know as a family we are not unique, but, based on my efforts, there seemed to be more mysteries than there were answers. I wish her well and look forward to seeing what she can come up with. You know. We all need a list of those who preceded us. If for no other reason, so that we can blame them for the mess we have made out of things. (Joking only.)

What a week! I'm doing better physically as I seek to overcome that self-inflicted problem that I am not allowed to complain about. I do hate it when my own rules complicate my ability to sound off. The good news is that I can talk all I want to about it as I drive down the road all by myself. Folks spot me all lathered up and carried away and figure I have one of those Bluetooth hands-free smartphones. You know. They think I must be taking care of a business deal or talking to a family member. Not even close! I am well aware there are behavioral studies that report on people who talk to themselves. If they ever decide to use me as a subject, they may want to show up early and stay all day. And, yes, I also know the old joke about it not being a problem until you start answering when you talk to yourself. How crazy is that? Why would I ask myself a question if I wasn't interested in the answer? Yep. They should plan on staying late if they are going to get to the bottom of my problems. I've said all of that just to say how much I have enjoyed our time together this week. It has been therapeutic. I threw that in just to keep you guessing about my psychological status. You might as well be confused too. Thanks for tuning in. I do know this about next week. If the Lord Jesus doesn't come back and call me up to meet Him in the air, I will do my best, with His help, to show back up come next Monday. (1st Thessalonians, Chapter 4) Until then, may God help each one. Go ahead. Enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: