Monday, October 17, 2016

It's always good for us to pause And think awhile of Santa Claus-- That jolly symbol we revere When we approach the changing year. Behind his beard so long and white, In which our children take delight, There beats a heart from color free Which bids all children "come to me." ~ MARSHALL M. MORGAN, "The Spirit of Santa Claus"

Craft Show Santa
Good to catch back up with you on this Monday, October 17, 2016. I spent this past Saturday reprising the role of Craft Show Santa. The ladies at our local fellowship of believers put on a craft show in October each year. I was there as one of the exhibits, Selfies with Santa. The photos were free, taken by the participants. We did, however, have a collection box for anyone who wanted to donate to our missions outreach. You think it could be a wee bit early? That's true but it was more of a novelty than anything else and I always enjoy getting ready to get ready to bring joy to children of all ages. Even at a ladies craft show. Let me see. It's October, so it should be cooling off. Right? I know there were a lot of fall decorations at the craft show, but, out in the parking lot, the 90-degree temperature had little in common with the autumn theme. It's a wonder Al Gore wasn't outside picketing against global warming. I know he has recently lost quite a bit of weight but for many years he was so heavy he was singularly accounting for his own personal impact on the climate. (The theory goes like this: "Carrying that extra weight means eating more, which means more food has to be produced, packaged, transported and refrigerated, increasing how much electricity and fuel is needed per person. Heavier bodies also need more fuel to move around as engines and motors strain under heavier loads." lifted from the Scientific American website) I don't know exactly how I got off on that one but the good news is that we had a good day at the craft show. I don't know that I have ever uttered anything like that about a craft show. That was Craft Show Santa's comment, not my personal opinion about what happens at craft shows.

I think most people who know me can name my coffee preference. For me, it's Community Coffee as my first, middle, and last choice. You don't have to ask twice to know that is my final answer. I like my coffee hot, black, and reasonably strong. While I appreciate the fact that markets require diversification, I am not fond of my coffee company offering a bunch of disgraceful flavors. Here's what I am talking about: Bread Pudding; Pumpkin Praline; Toasted Hazelnut; French Vanilla; Golden Caramel; Mardi Gras King; and Pecan Praline. To me, this is sad. It may be necessary for profitability but it is still sad. I don't drink decaffeinated coffee. To me, it gives brown water a bad name. I can remember back in the day when asked if I wanted black coffee, I asked if there were other choices. It was understood to be a joke. Not anymore. One fellow said, "Latte is a French word for you just paid way too much for coffee." I agree. Yes. This paragraph is an editorial or opinion piece if you will. You may have a different taste. When I see all those ads for those weird concoctions taking up space on the Community Coffee website, well, it reminds me of a song. It's one written by Irving Berlin, originally recorded in 1932 by Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees. Since then it has been covered dozens of times by the musical greats. I thought about it. It fits. "Say It Isn't So."

Please don't write me. It's all in fun. You know. Tongue in cheek. That figure of speech has been around since the 1700's. "The figurative idiom means meant or expressed ironically or facetiously. The expression has origins in 18th-century England, and it originally referred to a common facial expression used to express contempt." I did not intend any contempt except in expressing my distaste for the further degradation of the coffee bean. Enough on that subject. Almost. Just now I paused to take a sip from my Santa Claus mug filled with Community 100% Columbia Altura. It tastes so good it makes me want to sing out loud. I know the popular one says it tastes so good it makes you want to slap your momma. I would never even think about thinking about that one. Not even in jest. I think I heard slap your pappy growing up but I can't be 100% sure. Singing. I like singing. There are many songs that mention coffee. Frank Sinatra had a hit with one simply entitled, 'The Coffee Song.' The writer Dave Barry had a comment about coffee, "It is inhumane in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity." See what I mean? I'm not the only one. Do your best, with or without your coffee, to embrace the day the Lord has given to us and to be thankful for it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: