Tuesday, October 11, 2016

"The major function of music is emotional, but psychologists have yet to understand the connections between different songs and different emotions. This is a major task, not least because of the amount of music that exists." ~ Article: The Psychology of Musical Tastes, from the Psychology Today website

Good morning. It's Tuesday, October 11, 2016, and I say, "What's happenin chum?" That's an Irish greeting and I've been listening to quite a bit of The Irish Tenors lately, therefore, I suppose I am in an Irish kind of mood. I've not ever exactly figured out what my musical tastes reflect. Much of the Irish songs are sad and woeful. Melancholic, if you please. Songs about longing to go back home, lost love, prison, famine, war, the death of loved ones, and happy stuff like that. There are happy Irish tunes as well like gigs and dance tunes. But, I think I favor the story songs and most of them are pretty sad. I pretty much like anything recorded by The Irish Tenors. I collected a number of their CD's when the group was made up of Finbar Wright, Anthony Kerns, and Ronan Tynan. My favorite is a recording of the songs performed for a PBS special, live from Belfast. It has 19 songs and they are all great. These three now have separate careers but they do still tour together in the months of December and March. I also enjoyed the group when John McDermott was with them. As for why I lean towards the songs that reflect a sad mood or feeling, well, that might take some time. I also greatly enjoy Church hymns, Celtic, Cajun/Zydeco music, Polka, Big Band, western swing, (check out the Quebe Sisters), large orchestra, pop and classical, German/Scandinavian festival music, bagpipes, choral music, Southern Gospel, Bluegrass, some country, acapella, folk, yodeling, accordion, and several others I can't grab hold of on short notice. My point? I keep YouTube very busy when at my desk with my little ear buds vibrating. I'm not sure, but, I think I may be on my third set of ear buds. And, the answer is yes. I do occasionally listen to songs recorded at funerals. Not to worry. I follow that up with a wonderful tune from the quintessential Cajun singer, D. L. Menard, backed up by the Cajun family singers, L'Angelus, doing 'The Back Door.' You don't know until you try it. Look it up. It's all in Cajun French but I think you will like it.

1631 Edition of the Bible, typo: "Thou Shalt commit adultery."
I think most of those who read my blogs know that I do attempt to make them as accurate as I possibly can. I am very well aware that I am not always able to make that happen. The other day I had a sentence that read, 'What you see if what you get.' I very much appreciate my eldest and my life companion for pointing out that it most likely should have read 'is' instead of 'if'. I mean it when I say I am pleased they spotted that. However, it didn't keep me from trying to figure out a way to make what was obviously an errant keystroke, (typo or typographical error), make sense. I attempted to use punctuation but that didn't work. No amount of commas will make that one into anything other than a mistake. I can't blame my grammar utility because he has made it clear in the past that he doesn't check for stupid. I thought about running that sentence through some translation programs to see if maybe it would be better in a different language. You do know I am kidding. Mostly. At the end of each blog, I am what I write and that includes some mistakes along the way. What you see is what you get.

That Bible typo is considered to be all time number one in terms of its error status. That particular printed edition became known as the Wicked Bible. There are plenty of other notorious typos that led to misunderstandings, financial losses, and other serious outcomes. Mine mostly causes injury to my ego, therefore, I think we can overcome any resultant fallout. They tell us a single missing hyphen in a computer program caused NASA's Mariner-1 to explode shortly after takeoff. The cost was estimated at $80 million dollars. There are many others like that where decisions were taken based on a decimal in the wrong position or a left out word. Think about it, there is no better example of mistaken usage than the mangling of verses from the Bible to fit a preconceived notion. The Bible never said that money was the root of all evil. It did say the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. (1st Timothy 6:10) The Bible does say, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." However, go and read the entire passage from Philippians 4 and you will find this is not a promise for a happy go lucky life as a believer. There are dozens of other verses that people misuse today. Finding the truth about these is magnitudes of importance greater than a mistake made in our personal communication. You can quote me on that one. And, you can actually find out these most misquoted or misapplied verses by using that powerful search engine, Google. Here's the one I used, "famous misquoted bible verses". Just so you know. Have yourself a most wonderful day and may God continue to bless is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: