Friday, September 30, 2016

"I love the feeling of the fresh air on my face and the wind blowing through my hair." ~ Evel Knievel

I promise to do my best. No politics today. My wife sent a note the other day saying she will be so glad when this vote is over and done with. It's Friday, September 30, 2016, and I bring greetings to one and all on this lovely morning. I say lovely because we are banging on the door marked 59 degrees and driving in this morning with my window down and the cool breeze blowing, well, it was just what the doctor ordered. They have been teasing this cooler weather for a couple of weeks now and finally a sample showed up. I was getting worried because I heard one report that seems always to show up. It said there was a possibility the front could stall out. They do that way too much if you ask me. I didn't go around to the back of the house this morning to check on the A/C unit, but, I bet he's got a huge smile as he gets to take a breather for a change. In our area, he pretty much has to work way too many of the 365 days of the year, therefore, when things cool off a bit, he can relax some. Maybe that electric meter will slow down a little too. When it's all cranked up it makes a whirring sound which leads to me thinking about that car payment sized bill coming at the end of the month and that causes me to make a whining sound. That reminds me. They recently upgraded the water meters in our neighborhood. The meters have been read manually ever since we have been there. Now they are digital and I guess they can capture the readings electronically. The end result? Are you ready for this? The water bills have gone up. Who would have ever guessed?

Since I'm not going to be writing anything about that subject I mentioned earlier, I thought I would share some facts that will help you get ready to face another day. ~ Many of the laugh tracks you hear on sitcoms were originally recorded in the 1950's. They have been digitally enhanced and are still in use today. Think about it. You are listening to dead people prompting you when to laugh. ~ Studies show that people tend to think of themselves at least 10% more attractive than how others see them. ~ There came a day when your parents picked you up and held you for the last time. ~ There's a particular whale that sings at a different frequency than all other whale species. It is referred to as the loneliest whale in the sea. ~ A small amount of stress has been proven to help recall. Too much stress hinders memory. ~ The colder the room is that you sleep in, the higher the odds that you will have a bad dream. ~ Two-thirds of the world's population have never seen real snow. ~ If you get bored you can always watch videos on YouTube. It is estimated that it would take more than 100 years to watch those already available. ~ While none of this will do that much for you, you have to agree it does help me to keep my promise.

I feel like I have covered a lot of ground this week. Let me rephrase that. I've put a huge number of keystrokes out of their misery this week. Without much fanfare, I might add. The brief change in the weather does trigger memories from my younger days. It reminds me of gathering wood for the winter with my grandfather. That's right. We used a crosscut saw to cut down trees and to then measure and cut wood for the fireplace. All manual labor. No. I'm not going to say that I walked five miles in the snow to school. That would be a stretch since the school was only a couple of blocks away from where we lived. It would have been also the time when we began to get ready for the hunting season. I can see Paw Paw and us boys getting our guns cleaned up. That was about it. We didn't have any hunting gear. I can also see Granny Mac smother frying up a mess of squirrel and making homemade biscuits. Fried squirrel with gravy, eggs, biscuits, big glass of milk, with butter and homemade cane syrup. Rest assured, that one will not be coming to an IHOP anytime soon. And, yes, I am well aware of the squirrel background. (Squirrels are members of the family Sciuridae, a family that includes small or medium-size rodents. The squirrel family includes tree squirrels, ground squirrels, chipmunks, marmots (including woodchucks), flying squirrels, and prairie dogs amongst other rodents.) Taking all of that into consideration I have this to say about that. Melt in your mouth delicious. And, I am unanimous in that opinion. Take care and have yourself a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Lord willing, I'll do my best to show up next time with something to talk about. May God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: