Wednesday, September 21, 2016

“The truth has become an insult.” ― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, recognized Nigerian novelist, nonfiction writer and short story writer.

Good morning and welcome. We meet up again here at our little coffee shop blip of space in the vast blogosphere and we do so on this particular Wednesday, September 21, 2016. Drag up a chair and enjoy a hot cup of Community as we do our best to get this day started. I agree with the need for calm as our nation deals with the threats against our way of life, but, I cannot argue with those who show great concern in how we are dealing with them. The online Merriam-Webster gives this simple definition of politically correct: "agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people." Today we live in a nation who is in tip-toe mode in nearly every facet of life. Our school system, our government, our police, our military, even our religious institutions, along with our workplaces are in a state of paralysis as we collectively attempt to never offend anyone at anytime for any reason. This is being force-fed into the very fabric of our existence under the guise of tolerance. I don't think people should be slandered or made fun of because of their religion, their ethnicity, or the color of their skin. That intrinsic value is also a tenant of the respect we should have one for another. However, for those who would plot and plan to kill, maim, and do their best to destroy the freedoms we hold dear, they do not, in my opinion, deserve any shred of protection, neither in our response nor in our description of their identity. While I'm at it, I can't help but mention the only consistent exception to this malaise being wrought on us all by the thought and speech police seems to be those who follow the Christian faith. Christians are not included in this broad politically correct umbrella of protection. Check it out. I see it every single day. I hope you do too. Yep. It's a last days scenario. How do I know that? The Bible tells me so! Amen. (A quote I saw after I had written this paragraph: "Political incorrectness is our great problem." – Former CIA Director James Woolsey)

Three of my all time favorites, Casey Stengel, Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra
I didn't mean to start out the day by making everyone feel down, but, most of you already know that my opinions make up a lot of the keystrokes that end up on my blogs. While there's some debate about the origin of this colloquialism, it does in large part reflect on what I do here each day, "I calls 'em as I sees 'em." Like I say, there's not broad agreement about the origin of this little ditty but here's my favorite guess at where it might have come from. ~ The correct answer comes from the great Casey Stengel when he charged home plate in a series game when he managed the Yankees. Stengel's batter, with 2 out and having a full count, did not swing on pitch number 7. The home plate umpire yelled "Strike 3!" Casey was furious, as were most of the Yankee fans. He charged the umpire and got in his face, screaming as only Casey could do. The umpire responded in a clearly Brooklyn accent of the period: "I calls 'em as I sees 'em." It was loud enough for a NY sports reporter to hear the words and write them down. Remember in those days before security, reporters, VIPs and such sat to the side of home plate or just a row or two up. The ump had to yell loud enough to drown out Casey. ~ This was submitted to an etymology message board. I could have said what you see is what you get but then I would have had to try and explain that one as well. I'll stick with the first one.

No. I am not going to tell the story about how I used to sleep with my Al Kaline baseball glove. I'm tempted but I think I will save it for another time, especially since I've likely shared it more than once in the past. Telling the same stories over and over is now more acceptable, for me. I say that because something significant took place when I crossed that threshold designated by a 70-year-old marker. Jokes become easier, like this one, "Three signs of old age: The first is memory loss ... I can't remember the other four." One fellow said he had no trouble with memory storage. But retrieval, now that is a problem. I heard this one the other evening on a rerun of the Marty Stuart show on RFDTV. Leroy Troy told the joke about the fellow who was told by the doctor he had only six months to live. The old fellow responded by saying he wasn't sure he would be able to pay his medical bill with only that time remaining. The doctor thought about it and gave him another six months. Everyone on stage and in the audience cracked up. They couldn't stop laughing. Really? I've heard that one for years, but, I think I laughed anyway, especially at how much laughing they were doing. I may not have remembered that exactly how it happened, but that was it, to the best of my recollection. To the 'best of my recollection' may become my theme moving forward. We will see. Take care, and may God bless each one, and may He intervene once again on behalf of our nation. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: