Thursday, September 29, 2016

“The President and the Congress are all very well in their way. They can say what they think they think, but it rests with the Supreme Court to decide what they have really thought.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

I'm still ruminating, think: chewing the cud, about the debate last Monday evening. I am somewhat surprised the polls have indicated that Donald Trump was not hurt in a big way by his performance.  My assessment was that he was somewhat lackluster trending towards mediocrity. That makes me think that folks may be sick and tired of being sick and tired of lifetime politicians. Ms. Clinton cannot deny that moniker and people may have decided enough is enough. These people come into office promising to be a public servant but quickly they become entrenched and transformed into a member of the professional political class. She is a card carrying member of that class who perpetuates their own personal gain through public office. (All parties participate in this sham.) It's Thursday, September 29, 2016, and this is what I have on my front burner this morning. A friend on Facebook attempted to bring everyone back to the real issue in this election. The Supreme Court. Whoever wins will likely appoint at least 2 but it could be as many as 4 justices during their tenure. (If they serve 8 years.) These appointments will directly impact the future of our nation and the freedoms we all talk so much about. What kind of justices will a President Donald Trump appoint? What kind of justices will a President Hillary Clinton appoint? That's likely the most critical consideration and the one we should be most focused on as we all attempt to fulfill our civic duty. Think about it. In a divided nation where transformative rulings typically come down to a 5 to 4 vote, it is the President who will decide the judicial leanings of the 5 vote majority. Those appointments, my friend, will be colossal in terms of impact on our children, their children, and the generations that follow.

How do you like your sobering slap in the face to get the day started off? It does the same thing to me. However, now is a good time to reinforce the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. God is not in the least bit perplexed or confused about the political situation in our country. In the midst of all the turmoil and wailing and gnashing, we can lose our grip on this very sure and present truth. Present. Here's how the late tremendous expositor of God's Word, Dr. Adrian Rogers put it: "God isn’t pacing the floor in Heaven, fretting over what’s going to happen next! Everything is on His schedule." The other day a young mom in our local fellowship posted on Facebook about how, early one morning, her two boys, maybe 11 and 7, were talking about the end of the world. They were in deep conversation when their little four year old sister burst out with her rendition of 'He's God the Whole World in His Hands'. They don't know if her response came as a result of the subject at hand or just a random situation, but one thing is clear, she was singing the truth, period, end of story. Maybe when we see stuff going off the rails, the future looking shaky, and the problems seem insurmountable, well, perahps we could learn a lesson from this young child: "He's got a-you and me brother in His hands He's got a-you and me brother in His hands He's got a-you and me brother in His hands He's got the whole world in His hands  ... He's got a-you and me sister in His hands He's got a-you and me sister in His hands He's got a-you and me sister in His hands He's got the whole world in His hands." Amen.

That mom gave credit to her little girl's Sunday school teachers for helping her to learn that song. Most parents want what is best for their children. If that doesn't include teaching them the truth about God and His love, well, they might be well intentioned, but, in my opinion, they have missed completely giving them the 'best'. I'm often reminded of a very prominent businessman that I had dealings with many years ago. He was well educated and had risen through the ranks of his company quite rapidly. He had done his homework on me. One day at lunch he commented about me being a Church person. I told him I was. He asked if I went to mostly network. I told him that while fellowship was a part of why we participate, our main reason was based on our desire to honor and serve God. In response to that he said that he and his wife were not religious, therefore, they had decided not to influence the children one way or the other. This meant their kids could make up their own minds when they were at an appropriate age. I couldn't help myself. I told him that if he thought they were not influencing their children they were both mistaken and foolish. Based on my life experience I can tell you this. He, his wife, and their children along with every person breathing air on the planet will eventually face a day when they too will have needed to have known that God has the whole world in His hands. Don't you agree? I see those hands. Amen. May God continue to be with us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: