Tuesday, September 20, 2016

“A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.” - Aesop

Sometimes the timing on things just knocks my socks off. That's what I am thinking about this morning, here on this Tuesday, September 20, 2016. This past Sunday I was watching the NASCAR race and I was also flipping to the Texans game, trying to stay up to date. The NASCAR race was coming down to the wire. Literally. The young 20-year-old driver, Chase Elliot, who replaced my driver, Jeff Gordon, in the famed Number 24, was in the lead with five laps to go. I was cheering him on. Literally. We have a big screen TV but I was standing about 12 inches away from it, hollering at those who had no way of hearing me. Suddenly, a car fell apart on the track and a caution came out. My wife said she wasn't sure if the way I was acting was healthy or even in keeping with my Christian testimony. Then it happened. I was waiting for the race to restart. Bam! The power flickered. The satellite went out. The internet went down. The power came back on but the satellite and the internet had to go through a reset process. The wife hinted that maybe I had received a response to my behavior from up above. It finally came back on just as the race restarted. Chase was no longer in first which means he had to make a pit stop while we were away, stuck in no man's land. Bottom line, he didn't win his first race. He finished third. That's not bad for the first race of the playoffs but it sure had me stirred up. Literally. The Texans won. All and all a good day. As for the utility company, don't even get me started.

Just to set the record straight. I had no intention of becoming emotionally involved in the NASCAR race or the Texans game. Yes. I am aware of my grandfather's often used questioning admonition, "Well, what then, did you intend?" I suppose, based on my 70 plus years of hands-on experience, it should not have been a surprise. One of the early talk show hosts, Jack Paar, was well known for becoming emotional when dealing with stories and the people on his show. I suppose it is an outlet of sorts. I'm actually not nearly as entangled as I was many years ago. I well remember back in the day when I would have our main TV, one portable TV, and the radio, all going at the same time trying to keep up with the college bowl games. A few weeks ago when Tony Stewart finally won a race, even the wife was cheering. This is Tony's last year as a driver and we both were standing as he made the final pass on the final lap. See what I mean? It can happen to anyone. I do know there are tears when 'they' watch some of those Hallmark channel programs. Those shows are not played out live because they are not even real. Okay. You did remember. I think I said I cried as a kid when old Yeller died. I may have had a tear or two the first time I saw those people singing 'Nearer My God to Thee' as the Titanic went out of sight in the 1953 black and white movie. Oh well, I suppose I could do better. Maybe next time.

Some days it's harder to get the bones to quiet down long enough so they can be properly organized to march in step in a forward direction. I know it's hard to admit it, but there are days when I too would like to cover up my head with a pillow and do my best to continue the next episode of the dream sequence. There's a problem with that scenario. The thought alone, when it occurs, stirs up this powerful guilt response and it brings with it an echo effect. Instead of giving consideration to any other alternative, I have this loudspeaker compelling me to make sure I keep my schedule. Maybe that's why folks dream about a day when they have nowhere to go, nothing to do, and no longer any reason to be in a hurry. Until that time comes for me, I suppose I will be mostly like the White Rabbit from the 1951 movie 'Alice in Wonderland' where he sings, "I'm late / I'm late / For a very important date. / No time to say 'Hello, Goodbye'. / I'm late, I'm late, I'm late." You don't have that problem? Good for you. I'm not sure if it is a weakness or a strength but I do know it's my modus operandi. (It's a recognized manner of operating, called MO in the old detective radio programs.) I suppose I should hurry to finish. Therefore, in closing, I ask God to bless us all. See you next time. Lord willing. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: