Wednesday, September 14, 2016

"If you look in the mirror and your see a big belly, a bald head, wrinkled face, a complexion like leather, well, look on the bright side, at least your eyesight is still okay." adapted from an unattributed graphic

Well, here we go again, we are not passing Go, and we do not get to collect an extra $200, but we do get to get hold of and do the best we can with this day, Wednesday, September 14, 2016. While I may not need to be informed as to signs that I am getting old, I thought I would share some thoughts that are flying around out on the world wide web, as a public service. Ways to know you are getting old: ~ You hear your favorite song. On an elevator. ~ You enjoy watching the weather channel. ~ Everything pretty much hurts and what doesn't hurt doesn't work. ~ You often feel like the morning after even though you haven't been anywhere. ~ You've climbed the ladder all your life only to find out it has been leaning on the wrong wall. ~ Your knees buckle more easily than your belt. ~ The little gray-haired lady who helped you across the street is your wife. ~ You have plenty of room in your house but not enough in the medicine cabinet. ~ You actually enjoy hearing about other people's surgeries. ~ You think often of going to the beach, with a metal detector. ~ If you happen to bend over, you look for something else to do while you are down there. ~ There are plenty more out there but those stood out to me, therefore, you now know what you have to look forward to. Good luck with that. You will need it.

I read this example of this particular word: "No need to get sore, I was just funning." I will admit that I don't hear that one used very often anymore. But, that word does reflect my purpose in sharing those signs in the opening paragraph. I was just funning. Folks have been talking about the aging process for a long time. I suppose since Adam. Here's a couple from many years ago: "Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternatives." (Marcus Porcius Cato, 95-46 BC)  "I grow old learning something new every day." (Solon 636 BC~ 558 BC) Fast forward to Benjamin Franklin and here are some of his quips about aging, "All would live long, but none would be old." ~ "Beware of the young doctor and the old barber." ~ "By my rambling digressions I perceive myself to be growing old." Of course, the court of final authority and arbitration is none other than what God has to say on any subject, period, end of story. Proverbs 16:31 "A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness." ~ Leviticus 19:32 "You shall rise up before the gray headed and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the LORD." ~ Genesis 25:8 "Abraham breathed his last and died in a ripe old age, an old man and satisfied with life; and he was gathered to his people." ~ Psalm 90:12 "So teach us to number our days, That we may present to You a heart of wisdom." ~ Psalm 71:18 "And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come." ~ That should give us all something to think about for today. Don't expect to find those words of advice on the AARP website. Just sayin......

Yes. I am well aware that many people do develop challenges as they age. I don't get up every morning looking forward to sticking a sharp metal object into my finger just to find out if I have been naughty or nice. Much of these issues come with the territory. On the other hand, it's okay to find something to smile about. The other evening the wife was in the kitchen and I said something about what was on TV. She heard something entirely different. I just shook my head. We had a good laugh. Within ten minutes she said something to me from the kitchen and I heard something entirely different. She had her opportunity to just shake her head. We had another good laugh. It's like this little ditty, "A man was bragging about his new hearing aid and how great it was and how well he could hear with it. His friend asked what kind is it and the man responded 12:30." Or this one, "My wife doesn't think I listen to her, or I think that's what she said." Oh well, at least we can do our own funning as we grow old together. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: