Wednesday, September 28, 2016

"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled." ~ Red Skelton


Good morning and welcome to where we will be observing Wednesday, at least until one second after midnight on this September 28, 2016. Clowns have always been the subject of vastly different opinions. Some think of a funny and loving Bozo or Ronald McDonald. Others see this macabre image of the Joker or some other demonic inspired figure. Frank Sinatra had a hit entitled 'Send In the Clowns' in 1973. The song, written by the prolific Stephen Sondheim, became his most popular tune. Judy Collins charted with it in 1975 and 1977. The lyrics give us this: "But where are the clowns? Send in the clowns, Well, maybe next year." I think perhaps we have found them. Recently, throughout our land, there has been a rash of reported sightings of menacing clowns. They have been frightening children of all ages. It may make for a good marketing tool for the upcoming Halloween celebration but it also has had a chilling effect on the good clown business. I heard on the evening news last night that happy clowns typically booked for birthday parties and other special celebrations have seen a dramatic drop in bookings. I know a number of professional Santa Clauses who work full time in the entertainment market. Many of them do magic and also perform as clowns. They too are lamenting the fall off in the clowning part of their business. I suppose they want us all to know that from a happy clown perspective, Clown Lives Matter too.

I didn't have my Facebook or Twitter in front of me during the debate. However, when I reviewed the postings on both of them on Tuesday morning, it was very interesting to see what those in my circle were saying. I think it is safe to say that most of the folks closest to me would be in the Never Hillary camp. Their comments on social media indicated that it was through that prism they evaluated all that she had to say. I did see some pro-Hillary comments in my feeds, but, they were few and far between. The debate did not change my opinion. I cannot see myself, under any circumstances, being able to cast a vote for Hillary Clinton. That I am sure of. Yet, what to do in response to that is still the dilemma I am facing. I know. To many if not most, that should be easy. There's only one alternative. I really do wish I could see it with that type of black or white clarity. I did hear one pundit say that he believes there is a sizeable block of voters who are still conflicted about what to do. He believes this to be good news for The Donald because he thinks that come election day these folks will hold their nose and pull the lever for the Republican nominee. I may have worn out all of my clothespins from using them on my nose during the past several election cycles. Not being negative, just giving it to you straight. For what it is worth. Adjusted for inflation, of course. Did I post anything? I did on my twitter feed. "Message from the debate: You are so ugly you make onions cry."

I know what many of you are thinking. If politics went away I would have to shut down my blog the next day. I get that. I'm not sure it is accurate but I do know we live in a world where government at all levels is, unfortunately, becoming more and more entangled in the 24 hour living out of each day. The other day I was watching RFDTV and they showed the results of a huge rain storm in one of the farming regions. No doubt many of the crops were harmed by the flooding they experienced. A comment caught my attention. The local farm bureau was already working with elected officials at the local, state, and national level to see what relief in terms of monetary recovery could be made available. While that might be a reasonable expectation under some catastrophic circumstances, it bothers me when the kneejerk makes it the first action sought. A huge technical training institute was recently shut down because of fraudulent operations. Congress wants to make sure the students do not suffer financially because of the failure of the institution. That may sound good but think about it. When big brother becomes the mom, dad, and every other supporting influence of record in the living out of the individual in everyday life, we will have reached a type of soft totalitarianism. (Totalitarianism is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.) I was being optimistic by using the word 'soft'. Okay. Enough of my view of Civics 101 for today. I observe, report, inflate, conflate, and maybe even irritate, but, at the end of the day, you decide for yourself. As God leads, of course. Take care and may He bless us, one and all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: