Friday, August 1, 2014

Thomas Edison was quoted as having said in 1930 that he believed the financial depression was largely psychological.

We are thinking about dad on his birthday, today, and we pause to thank God for him and his life on this day, Friday, August 1, 2014. Dad was born in 1930, just one year after the huge financial collapse that later was named the Great Depression. That difficult time lasted into the beginning years of World War II, in the early 1940's. This means that dad grew up as a kid in some pretty tough times. Maybe that's where some of his fortitude and determination was forged. Whatever it was, 1930 produced a baby boy who became a very decent individual who grew up to faithfully serve his country, his family, his community, and his God. At 84 he's still working all of them and he continues to strive for excellence in all he pursues. I get tired just thinking about all the work projects he continues to engage in. The only person that comes to mind in comparison would be my granddad, Paw Paw Mac, but pretty much I've not known anyone else quite like dad. I do know this. I am so very privileged to have been able to call him my dad for these nearly 37 years. Thanks dad for being a role model. Thanks dad for taking care of mom. Thanks dad for being there for us all. Happy Birthday. We love you, Marilyn and Al.

Another week has come and gone. I know some days I am able to hit on stuff that resonates with folks better than on other days. I hear about it. And, I do appreciate the feedback. I would say that doing my blog each day keeps me occupied and out of trouble. However, that kind of generalization would then require some definition of exactly what, for me, occupied and out of trouble means, therefore, it's best to just leave that one alone. Things do get funny around our place sometimes. The other evening I was very much immersed in absorbing a TV special PBS documentary on Mark Twain. Now we are talking about a real wordsmith! It was so very interesting. I was really engrossed. Suddenly I became aware that something had drastically changed. I looked up and lo and behold there it was unfolding before my eyes, the 200th rerun of a Cops episode was playing. We've seen those episodes so many times we can quote the dialogue. She thought it was real funny. I had very briefly left the scene of the action for maybe 30 minutes in what was surely a much needed snooze time out and next thing I know we've switched from the life and times of Samuel Langhorne Clemens to an arrest of a fellow in Lafayette, Louisiana for solicitation of prostitution. I suppose I not only gave up my right to be silent but I also forfeited control of that most prized electronic marvel, the remote control. I know from experience how that device in the hands of an untrained operator typically never leads to a good outcome.

Okay. We all know that I am prone to exaggeration from time to time. I'm almost certain the wife's version might differ a little from my recollection. Fortunately, she has a great sense of humor and one of the things we enjoy the most is being able to laugh together. That little poem I shared the other day about forgetfulness gave us both a good laugh. I thought it reflected me. She thought it reflected her. Being able to laugh together is both a blessing and a treat. And the aging process seems to provide to us a healthy flow of comedic materials. Many of you may have heard this little funny. I adapted it from a blog where a man was rehearsing it since their pastor had used it to introduce a sermon. Here's the little story: ~ The pastor was having lunch with a group of ladies including an eighty-eight year-old woman who had just gotten married for the fourth time. She shared with him her life's journey. It seems the little old lady began her adult life by marrying a banker. After twenty years of marriage, the man passed away. A year or so later, she married an actor. Several years later, he passed on. After a reasonable mourning period, the lady married a Pastor. They had a good life together, but shortly after he retired, he too went to meet his maker. The lady was now once again a newly wed. She and her fourth husband had married six months ago. The pastor asked what the new husband did for a living, the woman said, “the man is an undertaker.” When the pastor commented on the wide ranging vocations of her husbands, the little old lady smiled and summed it all up this way: “I married one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, and four to go!” ~ Think about it, and while you are at it, I do hope you will have a great Saturday and Lord Day's Sunday. Until next time, may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: