Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Psalm 86:12 "I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore." (KJV)

Hello one and all and welcome to the place where we can take a load off, think about something other than the world in chaos, and generally, take a few deep breaths as we sip our Community and think about our day ahead, this one falling on Tuesday, August 12, 2014. Do you ever experience one of those feelings like you had when you were a kid? I've recently had one of those anticipation/dread deals going on as I awaited the results from my blood work. You know. Back when you were awaiting your report card, or a meeting with your mom and your teacher, or when the principal said he wanted to have a talk with you....tomorrow. That slight knot in the belly kind of feeling. Shouldn't I have gotten over that with nearly 68 years in the book? Sorry. I probably should have but be that as it may, it's still working about the same. I found myself looking for that particular email each day. They always send me an email to tell me that my results are ready on the website. It had been over a week before it finally showed up. I exited the email system and logged into my private account on the medical website. I clicked on the lab results, holding my breath, and almost peeking around the corner to see what they had to reveal. (You will have to find your own drama because for now this is the one I'm dealing with.) The A1c number please. I hear a drum roll in my head and when I saw the number I nearly fell out of my chair. Literally. It was a 6.2!!!!! I immediately thanked the God in heaven for this number. Wait a minute. Isn't the top of normal a 5.6? It is my friend, it is, but for a confirmed diabetic, anything, and I do mean anything, under 6.5 is considered to be a target to be pursued, embraced, and rejoiced over. Okay. Maybe I've been just a tad over the top here. However, I had pulled a 6.8 earlier this year, therefore, I could not be more thankful to have seen this come down. Amen and Amen.

What would I be going on and on about if I didn't have diabetes? I'm not sure but it would be okay with me to find out. I'd be glad to set aside that little case with that finger pricking device and that meter that gives out numbers, that, on some days, leaves me scratching my head. What could it have been? I think I played by the rules. Was it something I ate? Many times there just doesn't seem to be a reasonable explanation. It's like when I used to wake up grumpy and out of sorts and my grandfather told me that I had gotten up off the wrong side of the bed. Typically that would be followed by the proverbial, "You've got the same clothes to get glad in." And, to tell the truth, that may be as good as any explanatory rationale for why my numbers at times are hard to figure out. I hasten to add that my numbers are my numbers. One thing I have learned. This widespread disease is unique in the extreme as it impacts individuals. The lady who drew my blood told me that she had Type 2, just like me, and that she had been dealing with it for seven years, just like me. But, for some reason, yet to be fully recognized, her A1c had consistently tested at nearly 8.0. Medications, diets, and all the efforts she could muster had not been able to make a dent in this way too high number. See what I mean? Genetics? Something undetected? My heart goes out to her and others I know that are dealing with similar circumstances.

But as they say, if it's not one thing, it's something else. I've shared before that in my case, discovering it when we did was an unexpected blessing. That we found it quite by accident, (so called), early, and the fact that I did, with God's help and the help of my family, make huge changes in my lifestyle habits, well, all of this added together can be seen as a blessing from above. In my way of seeing it, since we found it before I had begun to experience symptoms, that means I have been granted years that may not have been there otherwise. That's the blessing prism through which I see this 24 by 7 aggravation. Now. When God blesses it's up to us to respond. We can say, "Oh well, I dodged another bullet and go on down the road." Or maybe, "Well, I got lucky that time." Then there's the one I'm still trying to embrace, "Lord, thank you for intervening in my life, what would You have me to do?" I know He wants me to put Him first and to faithfully serve Him to the best of my ability, with His help. Sometimes I think I am getting some of this done. At other times it can be pretty frustrating. Not because of Him. Typically, because of me. However, I come away being grateful that He, because I am His child, puts up with me and continues to work in my life. As the kid song says, "He's still working on me to make me what I need to be." Have yourself a good day and remember to give God the glory. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: