Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule, or the cook." Cowboy Saying

Good morning and welcome to our little fireside chat here on this Tuesday, August 5, 2014. Of course we will not be using a real fireside and I'm certainly not wearing a sweater, but, the opportunity is still a good one for us to chit chat as we prepare ourselves to face the day. When we were at mom and dad's on Saturday morning, dad served up his regular big breakfast. That's his thing to do and he really enjoys preparing and serving. Mom had some freshly preserved pears for us to enjoy. Now that brought back many memories. As a kid I considered myself to be fortunate because I enjoyed all kinds of fruits and a variety of homegrown vegetables. I even liked the food in the school cafeteria. I did. Of course back then they prepared everything by hand. Those yeast rolls were as good as it gets and they made a potato and meat stew that was worth using the roll to clean up any tiny bits that might be left on the plate. I will tell you this. Not having a taste for homegrown stuff around our place certainly limited your menu choices. I can remember my younger brother Donald and how he developed a love for boxed cereal. Mom had to keep an eye on him or he might eat an entire box at one sitting. Simple stuff. In the black community they call it 'soul food' and when I'm asked I like to put my two cents in for it being 'good food'. I'm not sure those pear preserves are on my diabetic checklist as a good choice but best I can remember that list was far far away on my computer in Texas. I do have a message for that checklist: "Yum Yum!"

I'm glad our boys did pick up some on enjoying many of these same wonderful foods. Not 100%, but much more than many in their generation. Mark Twain had this quote: "Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education." Thinking about cabbages, we do have a few notable stories about food tasting in our home. There's one in particular that became somewhat of a legendary tale as it involved the battle between myself wearing my dad hat and our youngest, Mr. Rodney, over the tasting of The Brussels Sprout. I won't go into all the details but I'm quite sure that I handled it poorly enough it's a wonder Dr. Spock didn't show up to personally make a citizen's arrest. The good news is how that we all laugh about it now. And, while he felt that he needed to draw a line in the sand on that one, I can report that today he pretty much is game to try almost anything. He might like to replay that episode with me in the hot seat with a plate of raw Sushi in front of me. (He loves it!) I'm not trying to give him any ideas because I'm pretty sure he is fully aware that the statue of limitations have come and gone, a long time ago. No. Don't call some family help hotline on our behalf. That train left the station many moons ago. We all laugh. Now. You might as well also.

I write quite a bit about the Baby Boomers because I became one, in the first year class, through no fault of my own. We were at one time the force to be reckoned with, especially given our buying power and the total number in our group. Then I read this little ditty: "The Millennial generation is a group of young people whose birth years range from 1980 to 2000. This generation is actually just slightly larger than the Baby Boom generation (born from 1946 to 1964). Nearly 78 million Millennials were born between 1980 and 2000." How dare they rain on our parade? What's that? Didn't the Boomers do the same thing to their predecessors? I suppose so but now it's different. These Millennial people and their kids are all hyped up with technology being a driving part of their lives, 24x7. Don't get me wrong, we Boomers have adapted as best we can, but these folks arrive wired for action from day one. The retail industry is already studying the buying habits of the children of these folks. I suppose we will end up being the busted boomers when it's all said and done, but, we did enjoy it for a while. We did. Right? Oh well, that's life, or a facsimile thereof, or something like that. I bet they were never even taught to take one bite of  a Brussels sprout. I know. Don't tell me. They have an app for that. Take care. May God bless each one. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: