Tuesday, August 19, 2014

"Life is too short not to make the best and the most of everything that comes your way everyday." (Unattributed)

It's great to be granted another year. One thing I notice is how that many of those we've come up with are taking their journey home. That's a natural part of life. The wife left last Saturday afternoon for Louisiana to attend another memorial service for a family member. This time it was for the baby girl in her mom's family, Aunt Mae, 84 years young. There's one sibling left out of eight, Aunt Pauline, 92. I can remember the wife and I and our first born infant son spending the night at Aunt Mae's back in 1965. Time. It does get away from us. Or, it seems that way. Greetings friends, neighbors, and beloved ones, it is Tuesday, August 19, 2014, and it's on this day that we find ourselves continuing to do our best, with God's help, to make our way forward. My Uncle Waymon, my mom's brother and last remaining sibling, is in the hospital in the Dallas area. He's 89 and will hopefully soon be able to go to a rehab center. I visited last Saturday by phone with Aunt Elwanda, his wife, and she wished me a happy birthday. I told her how her greeting reminded me of the times her and Uncle Waymon went out of their way to recognize my birthday when I was a kid growing up. She remembered that too. History....folks. I don't fully know all involved in that song about no man being an island, but I do know this: I have throughout my lifetime been surrounded by folks who by the grace of God showed kindness towards me and I am thankful that I came to realize it, and to give God thanks for the way these acts of caring impacted my life.

I've mentioned before that getting ready to get ready to transform myself into the Jolly Old Dude is not as exciting as it was in the beginning. The photo is of the Santa from the Burl Ives Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer TV show, (first aired December 6, 1964), and the one of me was taken sitting here at my desk yesterday morning. You have to have a target that you are shooting for. Just joking, but you can tell I am making progress. My first confirmed dates for this upcoming season are for the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the week before Thanksgiving. It's good to know that people do want me to repeat and I will work on getting myself all excited. I suppose I've made some progress since I began back in 2009. I can remember my very first time to play this character back in the early 1970's. The instructor
2009
told all us department store Santa's-in-training that they wanted the Jolly Old Elf as seen in the classic Night Before Christmas and that we should read that book to get our cues, as well as do our best to resemble the Coca Cola Santa. I already know my secret to getting excited. The kids. Even last Sunday at the African American Church, a young lad ran up to me and greeted me, "Hello Santa!" That will do for a start.

I saw where the world's second richest person was recently in our area making a speech. He owns most of the telecommunications business in Mexico and is a native of Mexico. Speaking at a forum, he gave his ideas how the United States could make things better with regards to the immigration issues. He supposedly has 72 billion dollars in amassed wealth. Before I can care one iota about anything this guy has to say, I would want to know just exactly how much of his wealth is devoted to improving things for his fellow citizens in Mexico. Before he lectures others he needs to show his own willingness to put up some of his billions. That might help more than giving advice to those who are on the receiving end of his poverty stricken comrades. That's how I see it. Based on what I have read, he has a history of being better at telling others how to operate than in using his own vast resources to accomplish something positive. Sorry. I hate to be judgmental but I can quit listening very soon to someone who spouts out advice but has little to show in terms of their own personal commitment to trying to alleviate the problem. I know. Me talking about it is not going to make much of a difference and obviously him talking about hasn't made much of a difference either. Yet, we all have our opinions and now you have another one of mine, at least on this subject. Have a great rest of the day and until next time, may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: