Thursday, August 14, 2014

"May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas." Celtic Christmas Blessing

How's it going? It felt like a Celtic Christmas morning to me, so I called me up some tunes to listen to as I enjoy my hot black Community Coffee. It does seem a shame to only listen to such wonderful songs once a year. I know. It does make them special but they are special to me today, Thursday, August 14, 2014, and I bid you a season's greeting. Joking only. Maybe I'm waxing a little Christmassy because I received a call this week inviting me to do two days in November as the Jolly old dude himself. That's the second inquiry already for the upcoming season. With somewhere around 133 shopping days until, well, this is pretty early, but, I appreciate them inviting me. And, I also very much appreciate the very kind words they say about our work, the wife and I, in this sideline endeavor of ours. The passing of Robin Williams, the funny man, was sad. His was self inflicted. I noticed how Facebook was filled up with postings recounting some of his funny TV shows and movies and tributes. Then I read another posting that took me aback. One fellow said that while Robin Williams' suicide was genuinely tragic, there is on average 20 or more military veteran suicides per day, many of them reflecting the toll taken by the stress they came home with. These are rarely recognized except by their families. A sobering thought for us all to recognize, consider, and pray about. Amen.

Yesterday morning was a wee bit different for those of us here in these parts doing our best rendition of sweltering under the heat and humidity. We had a unusual weather front that came through and it dropped the humidity some and took maybe 3 or 4 degrees off our high. That ride in at 4 a.m., with the windows down, sipping a cup of Community, well, it was something wonderful. It reminded me of a line from a Gospel song, "foretaste of glory divine." Okay. I'm not saying stuff here will ever be like it will be when we all get to heaven, but for me, the guy who loves the cooler climes, well, it just seemed like a refreshing breath of air washing over me. I'm not sure it got below 70 like it was forecast but it was close to making it. No. I was not ready to break out my sweater. And, yes, I am already looking forward to more rides with my windows down. I actually know people who enjoy and embrace the hotter temperatures. They are very cold natured. That would not be me and I have the electric bills to prove it, but, that's okay because we are all different, by design. Therefore, I can be thankful for the tiniest of reprieves from the heat while others can enjoy the hot to the fullest. In the end, it is the day that God has made and regardless of our preferences in life, we can rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24) Amen.

I am aware that for the most part I ran out of original material a long time ago but that hasn't kept me from staying with my daily visits, emanating from here at the ole blogger ranch. If I am able to keep on keeping on, I should hit my 2000th visit in the Spring of next year. Most 2000 page books likely originate as instructions for this, that, or the other from our government. But, we will see when that time comes. And, I do continue to get positive feedback from different people, and, at times they express how something has encouraged them in their walk. At the same time I am aware that repetition can become tedious. I also still enjoy the challenge of doing them each day. Maybe it helps those few remaining and still working but tired gray cells to stay off of life support, at least for the time being. The great author put it this way: "The reason one writes isn't the fact he wants to say something. He writes because he has something to say." (F. Scott Fitzgerald) I do like that quote but I will have to think about it for a while before I determine if it applies to what I do. But, until then, I suppose I will do my best to keep these cards and letters coming. Have a most wonderful day and may we all be thankful to God for His provisions. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: