Friday, August 15, 2014

Finding Purpose in Life: "For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

It's Friday, August 15, 2014, and Lord willing, tomorrow, the 16th, I will recognize the 68th anniversary of the day I was welcomed into this world. That's pretty hard to comprehend but it doesn't change the facts. The famous Sinatra song says, "I Did It My Way." I've tried some of that myself. Way too much. The good news comes when anyone learns the best life is the one that acknowledges God and His way of living. Some learn that earlier and better than others. I come to this day with a huge list of things to be thankful for. The bottom line as I think about this time that God has granted to me: Only by His grace, mercy, and love. I'm thankful for my family, my heritage, and the way in which God has worked in my life. I am so grateful to have mom and dad to love and honor. I am blessed beyond measure with a Godly wife and mother of our children. Our kids and their kids and our great grand all have enriched my life. We've been provided for materially with the resources to take care of our needs. I'm thankful for our Church family, my sisters and brothers, and for the privilege of serving them and serving alongside them. Lots of blessings and lots of thankfulness as I reflect on so much that has been given to me. So many gifts. May God help me to respond to all He's done by honoring Him and serving others.

If you would like to recognize my birthday, take the last sentence above and say a prayer that I would find myself fully engaged in pursuing that outcome as the testimony of my life. Thanks. And, as I have consistently said, I really do need all the help I can get. I have resisted doing much commentary regarding the political world this week. The wife made it back from taking our twin granddaughters to Galveston and as we sat and talked, I mentioned this, that, and the other thing going on, and she was astounded. They had been busy and had not caught the news during their 3 day hiatus. Stuff does change in a hurry. That's for sure. In the midst of all the changes going on, some things have pretty much stayed the same. The world is still turned upside down. Vast numbers of people are suffering every day. The politicians are playing their games. Pointing fingers. Denying responsibility. Trying to hang on to power. Not just here. Everywhere. How will it all turn out? I can't tell you that. I do know who does know. He will deal with it all in His own good time. That, my friend, we can be sure of. Amen.

I did take the time to listen to an hour long old radio program called The Year in Review: 1946. That's the year I showed up to begin my journey here. It apparently was a very volatile time here in our nation. The war was over but now the troops had come home and finding jobs, housing, and building a sustained economy presented monumental challenges. It was a year marked by labor unrest and the winding down of the war machinery. Obviously, my folks survived, and I am a testimony to their perseverance. On December 20, 1946, an obscure movie played for the first time in New York City, "It's a Wonderful Life." It was not a box office success and while it garnered 5 academy award nominations including Best Picture, it was not generally well liked by the critics either. Some 28 years later the copyright expired and it soon began playing on TV at Christmas time. It really took off in the 1980's, and the rest as they say, is history. Now it is beloved by countless millions. I know we watched it every year as a family for years. In some ways I can identify with the main character George Bailey, at least in seeing how God has blessed me in the life He has provided to me. It may not have always been the one I had in mind, but, as with all things pertaining to our Great God, His is always the best, period, end of story. Well, I've probably created another rut or two in my stomping here and there as I have journeyed down memory lane, but, as I close out today's edition, I end it with a prayer of thanksgiving to God for His working in my life and I send along a prayer for blessings on each of you as well. Amen. Take care, and Lord willing I'll see you next Monday. ....More later.

No comments: