Thursday, August 28, 2014

“How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.” ― William Faulkner

If I could only get into a frequent keystroke club of some kind. You know, like air miles. I believe I might be at the Platinum level by now, but, there's not any that I know of, therefore, I will just share today's quota with you, on this Thursday, August 28, 2014. I recently received a note from a cousin talking about some of the things he remembers from our growing up days. He had written to thank me for preserving some of these memories in my blogs. I have often talked about folks who never want to remember anything at all about their past. And, while I know we can't live in the past, we may not be able to relive our past, but, for me, call it escape, call it wasted time, but for me, I flat out enjoy remembering many of the events and happenings that made up my early days here on the planet. No doubt we were to a certain extent more ignorant and more innocent back then. You know. We didn't have news bombarding us 24 hours a day, the internet to constantly keep up with any and everything happening, or the incessant tweets and texts heating up our cell phones. Not any of that. We had ourselves a different agenda. And, while not every day was a good day, and we had our times of trials and tears, may I just say one more time, for me they are called the good old days for a reason, and I hope and pray I will not forget to remember them for as long as I live. Thanks John for reminding me again of the treasures we were privileged to possess as kiddos enjoying our simple Podunk Hollow lives.

I'm certainly not opposed to technological innovation. Much of it has been put to good use. The wife and I were visiting a dear lady from our local assembly in the hospital last Sunday afternoon. Her brother and sister-in-law from Tennessee were there visiting as well. This ailing dear saint of God is known for her outgoing faithfulness that shows up in her demonstrated love for others. She does have ongoing health issues. Sometimes she is unable to attend services because of these difficulties. The sister-in-law was telling us how that when she is unable to attend our Church services she goes to Church with them on her computer. Their Church in Tennessee streams their services live on Sundays, therefore, she can join them in the singing, worship, and the hearing of God's Word. See what I mean? I heard that and my heart responded with a hearty Amen. What a wonderful use of technology to minister to people at home and abroad. Think about a soldier from their local fellowship stationed in a far flung place across the globe being able to log in and receive strength and encouragement from the Lord through his beloved brothers and sisters back home. Is this a great country or what folks? Amen and Amen.

My wife likes to watch Chonda Pierce, a Christian funny lady. The other day she was watching her latest dvd and I heard Chonda talking about her mom who had recently passed away. Her mom was a simple country lady. Chonda was at a speaking engagement and had arranged for her mom to enjoy a nice room at the hotel. She went to check on her mom and found her laying up on the bed with all the little packages opened from the little refrigerator in the room. She asked her mom what she thought she was doing. She said the folks there had been kind enough to put all that stuff in there for her and she didn't want to seem rude by not enjoying them. Her mom went on to tell her they had also left a bunch of little bottles of alcoholic drinks in there and that he had felt compelled to open them and poor them all down the sink. Chonda ended the little story by saying her mom is likely the only teetotaler ever to run up a $368 bar tab at the big hotel. I may not have gotten it all exactly like she told it but I laughed and I thought you might too. We all need one every now in then. It will do a body good. Take care and may God go with you. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: