Monday, August 18, 2014

"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words." ~Francis of Assisi

Thanks to so many who took the time to recognize my birthday. Humbling. I so much appreciate the kind words and the love expressed. (Cards, gifts, Facebook greetings, calls, and texts.) Somewhat overwhelming but very much appreciated.

I did have me one of those very busy weekends. Busy but good busy. I greatly enjoyed a time of celebration with family on Saturday, I prepared and taught a Bible study class on Sunday morning, then made a 45 minute drive into Houston and covered the pulpit for an African American pastor friend, and then back Sunday evening for another time of feasting on God's Word. That's why there are some Mondays that give me a chance to relax a little, reflect, and to get myself ready for the work week ahead. This would be one of them and it is Monday, August 18, 2014, and I do bid a fond hello to everyone joining our little time together via whatever means you happen to be using. Much has been said about how Christians communicate with others. Some are very judgmental, some tend to be condescending, and others are just downright rude. Someone posted this little ditty on Facebook that I thought was pretty good. "Two Christians were holding up their 'The End is Near' sign. Some fellows came by mocking and making ugly gestures at them. Shortly thereafter there was a loud crash. One Christian said to the other, 'Do you think it would have been better for our sign to read bridge out?'" Living out our faith means a life of love and consideration for others. It does not imply compromise but it does mean that we who know the Lord should be kind and considerate in our desire to help and influence others. You probably guessed that I wrote the paragraph because of that little FB posting. You are 100% correct. I will tell you this: I do like that little story.

My driver's license renewal required me to have my picture remade and a new license issued. The renewal is done every 6 years but a new photo license has to be done every 12 years. Twelve years is a long time. The last photo for me was back in 2002. The place I went to is a mega center. They can serve about 40 people simultaneously. I'll not mention the questions about whether I still weigh the same. Twelve years! The lady helping me was nice enough but she thought I didn't know how to have my fingerprints copied. They use a photo scanning device. She kept telling me to press harder. I was pressing harder and harder and nearly tipped over the equipment. She was breathing loud enough for me to hear her. Then she concluded that she was having a problem with the system and she would need to reboot. She may not have intended for me to feel like it was my fault but that's how it came across. As I was waiting for the reboot a wonderful lady who works there and who is a wonderful servant of the Lord and also in my Bible study class, well, she came over and gave me a hug. I think based on the uniform difference, the lady who gave me a hug might be senior to the lady doing the heavy breathing because I suddenly became a customer of notable excellence. She was apologizing all over the place. I do love it when a plan comes together and I was also glad to see her breathing improve as well.

I know what some of you are thinking. Why does everything I get involved in have to end up as some kind of drama drenched saga? If I've told you once, I've told you 1,000 times, it comes with the territory, and, I've also made it clear that I wouldn't wish being me on anyone. And, just so you know, I did show enough concern to ask about her breathing. She said it was allergies. They sure got better in a hurry, or, it did seem that way to me. I think I am noticing something and it may be a positive sign. I unlock the main shop building here at the same time everyday, around 6:30 a.m. It's getting darker. I had to use my flashlight already. I know. We've still got a huge amount of hot to get out of our system but that minute changing of the available light, well, it gives hope that cooler days are somewhere up ahead. What's that? Maybe it was cloud cover? Give me a little more credit than that. I realize that even a stopped clock is right twice a day but I can spot a change when I see one, especially one that I am looking for. It's a seasonal type of observation. No. I did not hear any music playing in the background. What do you think, I'm a little off or something? Where would anyone ever get an idea like that? Find yourself embracing and enjoying the day before you even if the public servant huffs and puffs a little. It was only allergies. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: