Friday, August 8, 2014

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert Einstein

I almost had something really special going on. Five Fridays, Five Saturdays, and Five Sundays in the same month. Bingo! And, one of those lands on my birthday. Now we're talking! I read this only occurs every 823 years. But, alas, I later discovered that it just isn't true. It's another one of those myths that has been around for a long time. These sets of 5's are rare but not that rare. In fact, they actually work pretty much like clockwork or calendar rotation, in this case. Thanks to all the nerdy nerds out there that go around doing their own version of myth busting. To add insult to injury they even published calendars from the past, present, and future to prove their point. I'll just have to find something else to make me feel special this month. I know. It's always good and always special to meet up like this and today we find ourselves in the second of those 5 Fridays, August 8, 2014. Not the one that only comes every 823 years but the one that we find ourselves dealing with today. Why am I a little bummed out? When I saw that 823 year deal the other day I thought up a great little story I was going to share. Now that one is kaput. Okay. Here's a thought: Today is the first day of the rest of your life. I know. That's one that might well be 823 years old, but it will have to do for today. Sorry.

My wife sets me up for some real jump back surprises. She must be into scaring old people these days. The other evening she asked me to please turn the water off outside. I was more than happy to oblige. I walked down the sidewalk and reached around the side of the house to the faucet. About the time I grabbed hold of the handle I noticed something about to pounce. I jumped back and nearly slipped down. She had leaned against the pipe this ornamental looking thing with a big humming bird on it and when my eyes made contact it's beak was about to drill into my hand. No telling what that skinny girl heart technician would have seen if I had been hooked up when this happened. I finally regained my composure, saw it for what it was, and finished my chore. I then returned to where she was leaned back in her recliner and I told her my sad story. Instead of comfort and concern, all I got was wave after wave of belly laughs. She sent me out at dusk and set me up for a near scared-to-death scenario and then she has the audacity to do a comedy routine. It can be tough folks. Tough indeed!

She loves watching the American Ninja Warrior competition. Maybe she wanted to see if I could do the splits. I almost did, and the answer, in case you are wondering, is no, I can't, but that didn't keep me from trying. We tend to be having more of these types of opportunities as we make our way forward. Many of them are self inflicted, known only by me, therefore, I have made them subject to the privacy laws where they cannot be revealed until I get good and ready. The good news is the fact that I don't need writers when I can invent my own material without really doing much. Just getting on with life each day. You may have avoided some of this but I'm here to tell you there will come a time when you will know, up close and personal, exactly what I am talking about. Be prepared to laugh. If you don't learn to laugh at yourself you will dry up like a wrinkled old prune. What's that? Why don't I shave the beard so we all can see what kind of shape my wrinkles or in? Sorry, but the beard is booked up for the winter. You do know this is all just for fun, killing keystrokes and time. I do hope you have a most wonderful Saturday, (one of the 5 in this month), and Lord's Day Sunday, (one of the 5 in this month), and I'll do my best to show up come next Monday morning, (one of the 4 in this month). Take care and may God bless. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: