Thursday, October 10, 2013

Well, are you struck by shock, terror, or amazement? If you are, we can safely say you are AGHAST!

Here we go again folks. It's Thursday, October 10, 2013, and I'm doing myself some heavy duty thinking this morning. What's that you say? You thought you smelled something burning? You are just real funny today. We all are aware of the fact that there's plenty of bad news to go around these days. But, there's a recent report that has really gotten people stirred up. You may have heard about the huge revelation regarding the Double Stuf Oreo caper. Millions are having trouble catching their breath over this one. We all know that the Stuf is really what Oreos are all about. Some bunch of whiz kids have measured the amount of Stuf in the Double Stuf Oreo and compared it to the amount of Stuf in the regular Oreo. They have now come forward with the results. The so-called double Stuf is actually on average only 1.86 times the amount of the regular. I just hope people didn't run off the side of the road when they heard about this. Please say it's not so Nabisco. But, alas, another institution comes crumbling down. You know, as in, that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's a sad day folks. A sad day indeed. Perhaps they can get former President Clinton in a TV ad to explain that it really has to do with the meaning of what the world double is. Or maybe not.

It's pretty hard for me to adjust my walk down memory lane when, back in the day, I used to enjoy a handful of those delectable delights along with a glass of ice cold milk. It just doesn't sound right. The 1.86 Stuf Oreo. But, folks, we all have to try and make the best of it, even when presented with such sad news. The other morning as I sat here in the cool air I thought about how my mom used to make us some hot oatmeal for breakfast on a cold morning. I decided to try and duplicate that memory. Well, not quite. She would serve hers up, made from scratch, a touch of cinnamon, with some plump raisins, sugar, whole milk, and a huge cat head biscuit dripping with butter on the side. My version: One package of knock-off brand microwave oatmeal with artificial cinnamon and apple bits, one package of Splenda, some powdered milk, and water. No biscuit, but when I got it smoking hot I could actually smell home again, and that's not all bad. In fact, not bad at all. It's okay for you to take a moment to be thankful you are not me. I feel the same way sometime.

Today's episode is dedicated to those who mostly enjoy the stuff I write that brings a smile. They tell me they prefer it to the ones that talk about politics or other weighty topics. I can understand that and I also like to smile. Hopefully, we all do. At the same time I have to tell you that the stuff I write about is whatever it is on any given day that gyrates itself from the tired old gray cells to the electronic page. There are days when I delete entire paragraphs because it just doesn't work for me. And, if I can bring 1.86 more of a smile than you had before, then, while it may not be double, it is still a good thing. The Lord knows we all need to find something from time to time to smile about. Of course, real joy only comes from knowing Him and our confidence in Him will go a long way in helping us to make sense of all the bad news we encounter each day. I wonder if there will be some kind of class action suit against Nabisco because of the emotional distress they have caused. Sounds like a pretty solid case to me. What say you? Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: