Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"Men forget everything; women remember everything. That's why men need instant replays in sports. They've already forgotten what happened." ~Rita Rudner

It's Tuesday, October 2, 2013, and I send to one and all a greeting of hello and howdy from down around these parts to wherever you happen to be. We are coming off a pretty tough last weekend for our sports followings. The Saturday LSU-Georgia game was one of the best games I've seen from a collegiate competitive viewpoint, but I thought I would have to chug-a-lug a bottle of Pepto by the end. (LSU lost. You can take the boy out of the state but you can't take the....) Then on Sunday our Texans fell apart in the second half of their game against the Seahawks during which I was doing my best impersonation of Hank Williams Sr., "I'm Walking the Floor Over You." My NASCAR guy, Jeff Gordon, finished 4th at the Dover race but he could have won the cotton picking race and between him and the Texans where my remote was glowing from how often I was flipping forth and back, well, it was an excellent reminder of why I made a pledge many years ago not to let things like this get to me. It was a pledge to myself and I will tell you that it's fairly obvious that I have not always kept it. I came to work Monday morning with muscle spasms in my legs from trying to help the Texans get another first down, and with shoulder pains from leaning with Jeff in the turns trying to give him a little help as well. Hopeless? Guilty as charged but I am aware there is room for improvement. One would hope.

Of course you can tune in everyday to watch the games going on in Washington, D.C. If you want to know why the American people are fed up with being fed up about how their government operates, tune in to a news channel or CSPAN and you will see the reason portrayed in vivid detail. The President is acting out his role as he sees it, that being the Observer in Chief. Not Leader, not Negotiator, but as one who stands on the sideline watching the action and critiquing the play on the field. Why would he not be a part of the action? My guess is the round table polling they've done indicates the Republicans will end up being the loser in the government shutdown scenario we now see unfolding. This means he might have a shot at getting the House in 2014. If he has the House and the Senate, 'Katy bar the door' for his last two years in office. I sure hope the so called smart people up there have heard of the law that has to do with unintended consequences. At any rate, if that were to happen we might have to alter FDR's famous quote, "Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself."

Talk about changing America, if that were to happen, we haven't seen anything yet! But, bear in mind that this would be one of my takes on the situation, which, last time I heard, each of us are still entitled to have. Meanwhile, I do have other fish to fry, as they say, and I'm sure you do as well. Of course we can still take time out to enjoy a few word play shenanigans.  ~ Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis. ~ A grenade fell onto a kitchen floor in France, resulted in Linoleum Blownapart. ~ A chicken crossing the road: poultry in motion. ~ A thief fell & broke his leg in wet cement. He became a hardened criminal. ~ Police were called to a day care where a 3-yr-old was resisting a rest. ~ Those are so bad, they might just take your mind off the latest breaking news that typically is a downer. The other thing I would recommend is to do what the old song says, "Take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there." Meanwhile, get on with having a good day and I will see you next time where you will hear that loud bell clanging from down at the ole blogger ranch bunkhouse. May God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: