Monday, October 28, 2013

"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane." Song lyric by Jimmy Buffett

Now, let me see, where were we? I think we were in the middle of some conversation about something but maybe it will come to me. How in the world are you doing on this fine back-to-work Monday, October 28, 2013? You may have read about the young man charged in the Boston bombing and how he has now been implicated in a previous triple homicide. I mention this only because he has a large number of ladies who have become like a fan club or groupies. They send him romantic letters. Some say it takes all kinds but to me this is a sad commentary on our times. On a lighter note, I heard Willie Robertson, the Duck Dynasty guy being interviewed last week. The fellow asked him was it true that Uncle Si had a huge number of ladies chasing after him. Willie said while it was somewhat alarming, it is absolutely true. The interviewer then asked what was it about Uncle Si that brought this on. Willie laughed and said he thought it was more a reflection on the sad state of the ladies involved. He was joking. I think. And while it does take all kinds, and I am proof of that, all I can say is that we are living in some strange times folks, strange times indeed.

I do want you to know that I have retracted a few things along the way. I try to get my facts straight but in our saturated information overload world, it's easy to grab hold of something that ends up not being 100% of what it appeared to be. This happens to us when we have a firm established point of view and are always on the lookout for tidbits that support the way we see it. I know all too well the dangers associated with this approach, but it can happen. I suppose the teachings of my Granny Mac and my Mom were on target, "Always look before you leap." I've actually seen good God fearing people put up for the world to see some of the most outlandish stuff ever imagined. When they were confronted with the fact that it was clearly untrue they replied back that it didn't really matter because what it implied is true. Are you kidding me? Is that our standard today? I hope not. And, I will continue to do my best to make sure the stuff I report has been checked out. Except for my opinions. I guess it's good luck with that one.

The longer I hang around it is the more I find myself living the life of my grandfather. He did not believe in wasting anything. If we were up in the wee hours of the morning for a hunting excursion he would check the last night's coffee pot to see if any was left. He would pour it into his cup which from where I was sitting at the table it looked like cold motor oil. He would then turn it up and drink it down in one big swig. I nearly had to leave the room. His was Seaport Coffee. Fast forward. I come in from being out and about and find that I had left about a 1/2 inch in my cup. Yes. It's cold, thick, and very strong. But, waste not want not, I do exactly the same thing he did. Down the hatch. I may have a better reason. Mine is Community. Me? Becoming my grandfather? Not on your life! He was a much better man than I will ever be but I suppose he did rub off on me in some ways. No. It does not taste like iced coffee. Just for the record. Let me change that up a little. I have no idea what iced coffee tastes like, and why would anyone want to know? Take care and have a blessed day. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: