Monday, October 21, 2013

Bum Phillips, 1923-2013, commenting on Running Back Earl Campbell's inability to finish a 1-mile run "When it's 1st and a mile, I won't give it to him."

Well, well, well, I am, for the record, singing "Back in the saddle again" and I can hear from my song memory bank Gene Autry singing back up for me, as I prepare for this back to work Monday, October 21, 2013. Remind me not to drive nearly 750 miles in one day like I did last Saturday. Remind me not to come through Dallas when they have two major accidents and it took over an hour to get around them. Remind me to listen to my wife because she had advised that we should break up the trip. However, I needed to get back into the flow, therefore, the long drive, but, we had a most wonderful time and God was so good to allow us the opportunity to be away for a few days. I know I did quite a bit of joking about how the older folks dominate the Branson landscape. Just so you know, it's not a joke. But, I will say this: It was encouraging to see so many who were advanced beyond our years enjoying themselves. We sat in the balcony on Friday night and looking down at the packed first floor, well, it looked like the cotton was ready to be harvested with so many full white heads. Sorry. I couldn't resist that one.

But, my oh my, I can tell you that John Denver was right, "A'int it good to be back home again." We had a great time but there really is no place like home. I think I've heard that one before. We enjoyed the food, the shows, and the sights, but, to tell you the truth, no one can top my very own cook for putting appetizing meals on the table. Call me a homebody. Call me old fashioned. Call me a creature of habit. But whatever you do, don't call me late when she puts food on our table! They say it's not really bragging if it is the truth and I think I have truth on my side for that one. We heard about Bum Phillips passing away while we were gone. He was ninety years young. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people as the coach of the Houston Oilers. He almost put Houston in the Superbowl twice, just one game away. His quotes are legendary. Here's a good one we all can learn from: "You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."

Okay. I came back refreshed and ready. Not sure for what but as Minnie Pearl put it, "I'm Just So Proud To Be Here." We had a wonderful day in service on Sunday at our local fellowship. Those people are family and we are always happy to be a part of meeting together in celebration of our Lord. Now it is on to the routine that pretty much has been a part of my life, for, well, pretty much all of it. I suppose you get used to it after a while. I must have. Get it? Routine? Maybe it will come to you later. I pray that you will have a blessed day and that we all we take time to thank the Lord for His blessings. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: