Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Dear santa, For this year I’m requesting, a fat bank account, and a small body. P.S. This year, please don’t mix them up, like you did last year!" - copied

Hello to one and all. It's Wednesday, October 23, 2013, and while many don't want to rush the season, be aware that it is coming anyway. I was copied on an email advertisement sent out to their clients from the professional studio we work with each year. Here's how she is promoting our appearance for this upcoming session: "THE SANTA EXPERIENCE - November 30th Santa and Mrs. Claus will be visiting the studio again this year! Schedule your own private portrait session with Santa....No lines. No crowds. Just your family and Santa. Read a Christmas Story. Bring your Christmas Lists. Share a Christmas Cookie. Memories like this make lifetime Believers!" She featured the promotional photo she made last year. Confession time: I am looking forward to these exciting events, however, full disclosure requires me to say it's not with the same level of enthusiasm and anticipation I had when I first started this little venture back in 2010. I'm trusting that will change when the children show up and I feel pretty sure it will.

Missionary Baby Ellanora
On Sunday we had a missionary family visiting our local congregation. They are making plans to go to Kenya by this time next year. They are a wonderful young couple and they have a beautiful baby girl. You know me, I love babies and this sweetheart is easy to enjoy. While her mom held her I was playing with the baby when one of our long term member ladies came up. She told the missionary mom that I had a special connection to little kids and that she has a granddaughter that adored me when she used to come with her as a child. She said as soon as she would put her down she would run as hard as she could to jump up into my arms. I said the girl must be at least thirty by now and she said, "How about thirty three?" Wow! Time does get away from us, but, I guess if you are going to show up as the Jolly Old Dude, it doesn't hurt to have a legacy of loving the little ones. That at least gives me a running start.

Having said that about the wife's cooking on Monday, well, it must have encouraged her because when I got home that same evening she was close to finishing a meal fit for a king. I walked through that back door to the aroma of deliciousness, as the old song says, 'wafting on the rolling tide'. She had boiled up some southern style cabbage and cooked up some field peas and okra. She served it with hot out of the iron skillet cornbread, fresh tomatoes, a tall glass of unsweetened iced tea, and for me, some of my sister-in-law's home canned just-hot-enough pepper sauce distributed liberally over my entire plate. Now that's what I am talking about! Eating out, as they call it, all last week was an okay experience but nothing to write home about. We ate at one place known for its great breakfast. In fact, you hear people say it really is hard to mess up breakfast. All I can say is this: Compared to what? Those folks wouldn't know a made-from-scratch cat head biscuit if it hit them upside the head. No. I'm not planning on going into the food critic business but I am thankful that I do know the difference. And, I know that many of you do as well. This was the finger licking portion of today's episode and until next time I send out a prayer that God will bless us all real good as we go along our way. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: