Monday, October 14, 2013

"I am a most noteworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely. I have found the sweetest consolation since I made it my whole purpose to enjoy His marvellous Presence." Christopher Columbus

Welcome to Monday and it's going to be the day we make it to be, on this October 14, 2013, Columbus Day here in the US, and Thanksgiving Day in Canada. There are many similarities between the US Thanksgiving celebration and the way in which our neighbors to the north do their observance. As for the recognition and celebration of Christopher Columbus' landing in the Americas, well, it's become real popular to blast him as a destroyer of indigenous peoples, therefore, the Columbus Day stuff is not as big as it once was. Here's my take: Most folks were products of their times. That's not an excuse, it's just the truth. Not everything done by those who made significant discoveries or even those involved in the founding of our own nation are things that we are proud of today. However, discoveries were made and the founding did take place and we honor the contributions made because they paved the way for the nation we have today.

For Christopher Columbus' role in moving that achievement forward, well, in my opinion, it is to be commended. And, as far as taking time to be thankful, that's a good thing no matter when, where, and how it is celebrated, especially when those thanks are directed towards our Heavenly Father. I bring you these greetings from my virtual office here at the old home place but intend on it going mobile early in the morning. I'll catch up with you when I can. Take care, and may God bless each one. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: