Friday, May 10, 2013

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887)

Today is Friday, May 10, 2013, and I am sitting here thinking about all the special moms that have had such a huge impact on my life. The annual day where we honor moms in a special way is coming up on Sunday. The photo reflects the obvious. My dear mother. Her mom, Granny Mac. My wife. Her mom, Mom Rawles. These ladies literally influenced and shaped my life and are in many ways responsible for who I am today. The word profound comes to mind because that's the level and extent of these moms along with their impact on my life. All of these ladies reflect special talents and abilities. They were and are known for their devotion to their family. But, perhaps the most telling distinction I can think of is their shared common belief in God and their efforts to live, with His help, the life of a Godly woman. Mom Rawles was a pastor's wife for most of her adult life. She was a simple woman of faith and I learned to love her dearly. Granny Mac helped raise us kids and she never quit quoting the Scriptures to us up until her final days here on the earth. My mom sacrificed for us kids, took us to Church, worked outside and inside our home, and today she remains committed to the study of God's Word. Lastly, my wife, she is beloved by all, and the boys and I along with their wives, children, grandchildren, and the great grand, all can rise up in thanking God for who she is and all that she does for each of us. Thank God for mothers who show us the way. Amen.

That's four moms and may I just tell you there have been many, many more in my life. I think about my wife's grandmothers, my aunts, my sisters, and other great moms in our family. There were teachers who used their motherly instinct and caring to help me along the way. Throughout my life there have been Church moms of all ages who have prayed for me, supported me in the ministries God has allowed me to pursue, and generally loved on everyone in ways that only a mom can do. Yeah. I am well aware of what the world thinks about the so called 'traditional' mom. It's not a part of the modern 'me first' way of living life. In my opinion, that's a tragedy because when young women choose to put aside their God given mothering calling, our nation, our children, and our families are jeopardized. But, praise God there are still those that follow His plan for men, women, boys, and girls. I thank God for the contributions of moms into my life and for their investments that have made this nation great. Just about every way I look at my experience with moms yields the image of sacrifice. That, my friend, has to be very close to the heart of God. Very close indeed! Amen.

When Jesus wanted to convey His love for His people who had rejected Him, He used bold language accompanied by the imagery of a mother hen desiring to gather her offspring under her wings. (See Matthew Chapter 23)  Sounds like mom to me. That will do it for today. I do pray a blessing on all moms and may God help each mom to feel honored on their special day. And, thanks to all moms everywhere who do make this world a better place. Lord willing, I'll be here at the keyboard trying to scramble up a thought or two come next Monday morning. Until then, may God bless us all. Amen.   ....More later.


No comments: