Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Some memories fill us up to the brim.

It's always something. Or does it just seem that way? That's the way the fictional character played by the late Gilda Radner saw it. You know. Roseanne Roseannadanna would always say this: "Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something--if it ain't one thing, it's another." And, so it goes, on this Wednesday morning here on this May 15, 2013. One thing I do have that brings both a smile and a tear is this special day where we remember our baby sister, Kayla, on her birthday. She left us back in 1979 for her journey to see her Savior face to face. She had celebrated her 27th birthday and some 45 days later she finished her valiant battle against the ravages of acute leukemia. I've not known anyone more ready to go than Kayla in terms of her total confidence in her destination. At the same time she dreaded leaving her family, her husband and three small girls, along with the rest of us. Her girls have grown up and become accomplished in their different areas of acquired skills and expertise. She would be proud. It took me a while to find that photo. It was one of those searches through the big boxes filled with snapshots. I believe it was taken on their first trip home from California after her terminal diagnosis. They were able to have her transferred to San Antonio for treatment and that made her much more accessible for our family. Robert, at that time a Captain in the USMC is holding Kelly, Kayla is holding Mary Beth, and Stacy is sitting beside her mommy. Happy Birthday Sweetie. We still love you, and we still remember.

I actually was looking for a different photo that I had in my mind's eye. It was one of Kayla, my brother Donald, and me when we were all still in our single digits. Kayla had a cowboy hat on and was holding a toy pistol and I suppose Donald and I were the ones she was rounding up. I had that one in my mind. But, as we searched through the boxes my wife informed me that while she had seen that photo she didn't believe we ever had it. So there you go.You get something fixed in your mind and you think you know where to go find it, only to find out you never had it to begin with. I never tried to make anyone believe I'm not slipping a little. The other day I bumped into, (not literally), a lady I used to work with. She was very pleasant and nice and we stood in the auto parts store and visited for a couple of minutes. It was all upbeat and howdy howdy howdy. Maybe that could be my slogan instead of Duck Dynasty's happy happy happy. When we parted I stood there a moment and thought to myself: Wouldn't it be nice if I had a clue as to what that lady's name is? Slipping. A little folks...just a little.

This is why on most days I have enough to say grace over just dealing with me, myself, and I. Without going into any more details, suffice it to say that you don't know the half of it. But, it does come with the package and I suppose it's good that one can laugh about it. I didn't say I was laughing. I said it is good if someone could laugh about those little glitches that seem to grow in number as the years sail by. Here's a little A to Z menu of what some of us must deal with daily: "A’s for arthritis; B’s the bad back, C’s the chest pains, perhaps car-d-iac? D is for dental decay and decline, E is for eyesight, can’t read that top line! F is for fractures and fluid retention, G is for gas which I’d rather not mention. H is high blood pressure – I’d rather it low; I is for incisions with scars you can show. J is for joints, out of socket, won’t mend, K is for knees that crack when they bend. L is for lactose sensitivity, the tolerant context, M is for memory, I forget what comes next. N is neuralgia, in nerves way down low; O is for osteo, the bones that don’t grow! P is for prescriptions, I have quite a few, just give me a pill and I’ll be good as new! Q is for queasy, is it fatal or flu? R is for reflux, one meal turns to two. S is for sleepless nights, counting my fears, T is for Tinnitus; there’s bells in my ears! U is for urgent care, can't be too slow; V is for vertigo, that’s “dizzy,” you know. W is for worry, like what could be that sound? X is for X ray, and what might be found. Y is another year I’m left here behind,  Z is for zest that I still have– in my mind." The person who posted this on a joke website ended with this refrain: "I’ve survived all the symptoms, my body’s deployed, And I am now keeping twenty-six doctors fully employed!" Okay. Have a good one and I'll see you next time, Lord willing. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: