Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Each day we look in the mirror on the wall and straighten our hair. How much better would it be if we would look into the mirror of His word and straighten our heart?

Hello and welcome once again. I do appreciate all of you who tune in on a regular basis. I consider myself to be blessed to have an opportunity to visit with you folks through this medium of communication. It's early here at the old keyboard, on this Tuesday, May 14, 2013, and there's a slight nip in the air, the Community Coffee is hot, black, and wonderful, as usual, and I along with many of you are busy as we prepare ourselves for another adventure in this continuing series called Life. Last Sunday morning those in my Bible study class shared their recollections of their moms during a testimony time. I had asked that they think about a specific example of their mom relating to how she sacrificed on behalf of her children. This brought forth a number of teary recollections but it was sweet as we all considered the heart, example, and caring that our moms had poured into our lives. One common theme dealt with food. I had talked about how there were six of us and when the food was put on the table, the prayer said, we got with it, so to speak. Mom waited until we all had our fill and often that didn't leave much for her. I grew to learn that she was not always just not hungry, she was willing to wait on our behalf. Others joined in talking about their times at the table and how their moms also often went without. I told our class how that we were ferocious eaters and had the lights gone out while we were at the table, no telling how many of us would have been sporting fork marks in our hands when they came back on. Such precious memories of moms. Precious indeed!

While I don't know the lyrics, I am aware of Bob Dylan's song, "The Times They Are a-Changin." I think we can all agree with that sentiment. We have a professional athlete that wants to talk publicly about his sexual orientation. He does the out of the closet routine and the media go wild with enthusiastic support. You then have an athlete who has a committed relationship with His Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, and he publicly and unashamedly acknowledges this reality in his life. The media spews hateful condemnation and essentially tells this young man to shut his mouth. Recently he was cut from the team he was on and the media finally could be excited about this fellow. They rejoiced openly in his misfortune and wished him even more failure in the future. Why? You may have your own opinion but the way I see it, most of it is concerning his faith. He may not be good enough to be an elite player at the highest level but I just don't get the amount of venom reserved for him. Yes, Mr. Dylan, they are, they are really changing. Sadly, I don't think they are changing for good. But, that's just me. What do you think?

Some have said that I have the gift of gab. While I suppose that could mean something positive, typically it commonly reflects upon too much incessant and idle chatter about trivial matters. To each his own I suppose. I would not say I am never at a loss for words, but I must confess that I typically have something to say even when I don't have anything to say. A friend recently shared a true account about a fellow who had drawn a partner randomly for a golf match. They were riding the cart together between holes. After about 12 holes one of the partners walked off the course. No one knew why. Later it was found out that the other fellow had talked so much that it put his partner into such a state of frenzied distress that he felt he had no other option but to leave. I suppose that was a better response than seeing a report of cart path rage on our local news. Therefore, if, when, or ever you feel that my daily discourse has crossed the line, feel free to hit the escape key so that you can move on down the road. That's most likely what I would do if I felt that way. But, be that as it may, it is now time to wish you a good day and that God will bless us all as we continue to make our journey onward. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: