Tuesday, May 21, 2013

“In India, "cold weather" is merely a conventional phrase and has come into use through the necessity of having some way to distinguish between weather which will melt a brass door-knob and weather which will only make it mushy.” Mark Twain

Life is about transitions. It is at times pretty difficult to say farewell, but, there are seasons of life when that's about all one can do. It seems only a few days ago we were having such a wonderful time together. Alas, so long my friend, I suppose I will see you again, hopefully in a few months. That's right folks. The cooler weather has evaporated and now I'm left with only a memory of how enjoyable our times together were. There's always next season. Right? And, Lord willing, that would be correct. It is good to see you on this Tuesday, May 21, 2013. The good news is how the Community Coffee holds up, regardless. And, you do know that I am only joking about my little lamentation over the loss of a cool morning. Okay then. I am joking a little. I mean it was just a few days back when I sat here with a light jacket on, banging on my keyboard, with the shop office door wide open. A wonderful cool breeze enveloped the room. Oh yeah. Now I remember. That worked really good until some varmint or some thing knocked over a trashcan and caused me to nearly spew my Community all over my computer screen. I never said living in the wild was easy folks, but, the breeze was nice.

I'm thinking about whether I really like those Alaskan survival documentary type shows. Here's these fellows out in the backwoods of the tundra trying to start a fire with everything wet and cold. The suspense is palpable as they struggle against the elements. About that time it hits me. Someone is there with the camera. Maybe they could borrow a cigarette lighter from the film crew. I know. They have rules that each team must observe but it does help to remember they are not actually alone. While the survival teams are not allowed to have any communications devices, it would be hard to believe the folks there filming these survival videos would go without a cell phone or some form of radio communications. The one I watched was done in the summer but the temperature would go down into the 30's at night. They weren't worried about a stray raccoon knocking over a trashcan, they were more concerned about a bear coming upon them in the middle of the night. Or, at least that's the way it was portrayed. And, what about that music? Where did it come from? Bottom line, it was that or a rerun of Hee Haw. Need I say more?

I am very much aware that entertainment includes the viewer suspending some of the rules that would normally apply to everyday life. We all are aware that sound effects from huge orchestras and slow motion video techniques do not typically reflect scenes from our everyday life. Although, while I do know that many folks do have vivid imaginations, typically, we watch movies and TV as an escape, therefore, it does require our cooperation in order for it to work. Some of the music videos where there are all kinds of interactive scenery and the singer is lip-syncing the song, well, it really looks bad when their lips are a millisecond or two ahead or behind. What do we think when we see that? Fake. Pretty much that's what most of it is about. Fake. However, we can play along when we want to, or, we can change the channel and even watch a rerun of Hee Haw. I'm not sure if watching Hee Haw was one of the factors the IRS was using to single people out for additional review. You might want to check into that before you tune in for some pickin and grinnin. Have a great day and enjoy those bright spots even if you don't hear the kettle drums giving you a build up. Take care now, and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: