Wednesday, May 8, 2013

"That's for the birds." A phrase indicating that something is meaningless, of American origin, from the early 1940's.

It's Wednesday, May 8, 2013, and I join others in being impressed with these cooler mornings in the month of May. I always enjoy hearing how that records are being shattered since the very first statistics have been kept. That is, when it has to do with all time lows for May. I'll let others enjoy the all time highs if that is their cup of tea. My mom said she actually spotted one little patch of frost in their yard last Saturday morning. Now that's what I'm talking about for the month of May! As I sat out on the day porch at our old home place I noticed the birds were not very active at all. That's unusual because mom and dad have feeders scattered here and there. I can imagine the conversation between Mr. and Mrs. Blue Bird. "You were supposed to be taking us to a warm spot, but, oh no, Mr. GPS himself didn't need a map. That would be way too old school for him. But here we are, wherever this place is, and just so you know, I'm about to freeze my tail feathers off. Maybe next time you will consider stopping and asking directions." I can't recall the exact situation, but I actually think I've heard this conversation before.

Last Thursday evening it was my privilege to cover the mid-week services for my dear friend Brother Kim. Their Church is predominately African American. I have filled in there many times. It usually follows the format where we take prayer requests and share testimonies and then I bring a Bible lesson. We had about twenty folks for our time together. This time was a little different. They had a few new faces. One of them, a black gentleman, really got into the lesson I was bringing. He was shouting some encouragement. Out loud. I'm not sure when my teaching became preaching but it was hard not to respond to his stirring acknowledgements. We had a good time. When I was done I could tell I had used up most of the energy I brought with me. No. I didn't become a wild and crazy guy but I did sense how that God can use different modes and methods to get His word out. I think about one particular lady in that congregation. She has been there since the very beginning. She has had a lot of trouble in her life, especially in her family, but, to me, she is one great example of what the Bible calls faithfulness. One lady, in an obscure ministry, working with children and doing what she can for the honor and glory of God. Remember, it was Jesus who pointed out the widow's tiny offering as being greater than all the rest put together. Why? Because she gave her all from her heart. (Read about it in Mark 12 or Luke 21)

It's good to know that parts of our economy are looking up. I got my property tax proposal and it has gone up. You know, they send you out a preview so that you can decide whether you want to protest the amount or not. The strongest argument most people make is disallowed to begin with. That's the one where you tell them that if they will pay you what they say your house is worth, you will take it. That one will only bring a smile from them but no relief. I also received my home insurance bill for the next year and it has increased by a whopping amount. I will be having to check out alternatives to that one. I've already shared with you the ongoing increases in the amounts we are having to pay for our health related expenses. Like I say, some parts seem to be surging. And, I am very much thankful that we have been able to deal with all of this, so far. I can't help but wonder how folks on low fixed incomes will fair as these changes hit. Sure, I know it's a tough world but dealing with it can be challenging folks. Challenging indeed! Like the lady I mentioned, we can follow her example and that will find us doing our best in being faithful, regardless of the circumstances, to our Great God. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: