Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"I remember when the candle shop burned down. Everyone stood around singing 'Happy Birthday.'" Comedian, Steven Wright

Today is the last day of April, the 30th, 2013. Twenty years ago today, on a Friday, I walked out of the offices of the big company for the last time. I had served faithfully that enterprise for nearly twenty four years. I have no regrets as I treasure the wonderful opportunities I was able to be a part of there, along with so many folks who were almost like family. Time does have a way of getting away from us. Speaking of that, today is our Jimmy's 45th birthday. Jimmy has his share of health challenges each day and many of them can be difficult, yet, at the same time he has much to be thankful for as he is blessed with four beautiful children, Jimmy Jr., the twins: Alesha and Amanda, and Alexander Benjamin (Alex), (photo below). Those kids are something else! Happy birthday Son and may God be with you as you continue your journey. Love, mom and dad.



April is a big month for celebrations in our family. It is our first grandchild Tiffany's birthday. The wife's birthday. Rodney and Mitzi's wedding anniversary. Jimmy's birthday. My dad was born on the 28th. He died on January 2, 1954. Had he lived he would have been 90 this year. My granddad McMillan's birthday was on Monday, the 29th. He was born in 1900. We also have nieces and nephews born in April. One of my faithful blog readers made the comment recently that we sure do celebrate a lot of birthdays in our family. And, that we do. But, it is good to know that we have the opportunity to recognize the value and joy associated with those near and dear to us, those we can still feel, touch, and love on, and those who have gone on to their reward but who were so much a part of our lives.

I've been involved in a number of pension schemes throughout my years of working. Most of these plans send out annual notices regarding all the financial terms that relate to the funding of current and projected future liabilities. I received these notifications for years before I actually paid much attention to them. What changed? It may have something to do with a stipend that shows up each month with my name on it. This has caused me to become somewhat of a fan of these fund managers. Most pension plans, including some of the billion dollar plus plans, are not in that great of shape, especially in terms of meeting future liabilities. My reading says it mostly has to do with the lack of investment income that had previously helped to build plan value. With interest rates so low and only a certain portion of the portfolio allowed to be hedged into stocks and other financial instruments, well, the future retirees will face some issues, if that doesn't change. Or, it may be sooner rather than later. One small fund that my wife receives reads very ominous indeed with hints that it may have to be taken over by the agency that covers pensions. Funny how these letters never seemed to be such hot reading back in the day, but, I do rip them open now. Old people. You just have to love us because when it's all said and done, we did do the time to get here. And, I do know that many of you know exactly what I mean. Have a good one and may God add His blessings to your day. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: