Thursday, April 4, 2013

"Like everyone else who makes the mistake of getting older, I begin each day with coffee and obituaries." Bill Cosby

Wake up and smell the coffee because it's Thursday, and we are on our way to wherever it is that we are going, on this, the 4th day of April, 2013. Speaking of coffee, I did make a trek to that Sam's Club and I did purchase that huge bag of Community that my grandson had alerted me to. Turned out to be 40 ounces instead of 32 and best I can tell, it may be a half cent per ounce cheaper. But, as they say, every little bit helps. I actually was thinking something humongous, like maybe a 10 pound sack but I still appreciate him looking out for his Poppy. A number of the guys here come in each morning sipping from their tall Community cup they grabbed at the convenience store. It gives me the opportunity to share with them the story of the company behind the cup. One of them told me he really didn't care that much about it being a family business or it being in Louisiana, he drinks it because he likes it. Okay then. Not everyone wants to be well informed. Maybe he is one of those they call a low information voter. Maybe not. He might regret it if he is ever on Jeopardy and the answer is: This famous Louisiana coffee company was founded in 1910. I'm already feeling sorry for him.

Community has now officially rolled out their little cartridges for those fancy Keurig style makers. That sure would be convenient. I looked into the cost of one of those coffee appliances and I thought seriously about pulling the trigger on heading in that direction. However, after long deliberation and serious contemplation, I think I will stay with what I have, my little one cup maker that uses the Community ground coffee. The little candy bar commercial came into my head. "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't." You see, there are times when I like to make a half cup with a full cup's strength. Or maybe 3/4 of a cup, or perhaps even a smidgen of just 1/4 of a cup. Why? Just because. That's why. You can tell how these types of issues do zap my energy. What's that? You think I might be better off using up my gray cells on something more important? Really? I know this whole Community gig has become somewhat of a long running gag. For the record, contrary to what you may have heard, I do not count Community coffee beans as they jump into the roaster as a way of helping me go to sleep. It's mostly just a story line. Mostly. And, as it relates to my fascination with my choice of coffees, I will just do the reporting and let you do the deciding. You know. You can be like President George W., who called himself the Decider in Chief.

We sometimes watch programming that leads up to the weekly wrestling show. They call it Monday Night Raw. Just before we change it, a live shot of the stadium comes into view. The place is rowdy and raucous and here's what really is amazing, it's standing room only. These people are about as frenzied up as any you will ever see, screaming to the top of their lungs, and about half of them dressed crazy and waving placards or signs. I know. It's their money and they have every right to choose the form of entertainment they want to see. I will grant them that right but at the same time I also have the right to be totally floored by folks following this nonsense. Yes. I do know that some people equate me being a fan of NASCAR in the same light. Here's a flash about that one: They have the right to be 100% wrong. While there are some elements of hype, drama, and perhaps even contrived controversies, there is no way to avoid the fact that where the rubber meets the road we are talking about 900 plus horsepower engines tuned to perfection, often exceeding 200 miles per hour. You can't fake that my friend, you can't fake that! Or, at least, at those speeds it would be very difficult. Y'all do your best to have a wonderful day and I'll stay on the lookout for something for tomorrow's edition. May God bless each one. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: