Monday, April 15, 2013

"I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States; the only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Today is the 15th. Need I say more? As in April 15, 2013, Monday, federal tax day, and many folks are still shuffling their papers trying to make the deadline. We received our refund in early February. It was somewhere close to $25. I signed the back of the check. Next thing I know, I come home one afternoon and my wife puts $12.50 into my hand. My half of the payout. I think that may be the first time we worked it like that. I could have probably come up with a few more deductions but once I got into positive territory I decided to take the money and run. By the time we reached that territory I was pretty worn out. (Is it any wonder? I just read how the Federal Tax Code is now 4 times longer than the entire Holy Bible.) Believe me, I was thankful we didn't owe but also weary from the journey through the process. When I first started imputing numbers into my tax preparation software, early on it showed that we owed $6,000.00. Even though I knew it wouldn't be that much when everything was accounted for, having that number flashing in the corner of the screen was annoying at the least and stressful had it not changed dramatically before the process was finished. I don't know if that feature can be turned off or not and I know it's probably a useful tool to many, but it just seemed to keep the pressure cranked up on me. Here's a little lame ditty to lighten the mood: If a tax collector or a lawyer were both drowning and you could only save one, would you: (a) go to lunch or (b) read a newspaper? It's only a joke. Don't get all bent out of shape.

I read a little blurb about a bench clearing brawl involving the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres. These dust ups typically happen after someone has been hit by a pitch and this was no exception. You've seen them on TV before. They all run out to the mound and start grabbing and grasping. Usually no one gets hurt. But, not this time. The Dodgers may have lost for a yet to be determined amount of time their 150 million dollar superstar pitcher because he sustained a broken collarbone when he and the angry batter collided. Baseball? That's right. One of NASCAR's brightest talents is also out for several weeks after having sustained a broken vertebrae in a wreck brought on by contact with another driver who happens to be in the midst of a flaming feud with Hamlin. This pretty much wrecks, (no pun intended), Hamlin's ability to compete for the championship this year. A few years ago NASCAR came up with a policy that essentially says drivers should settle their arguments out on the racetrack. It's called "boys have at it." I suppose that will need to be amended to "drivers have at it", with Danica now racing with the big boys. Excuse me, she is now racing with the big drivers. My point is this. Fights and feuds drive TV ratings and they sell tickets, however, you can't always predict just how things might turn out if you encourage them.

Letter from a taxpayer to the IRS: Enclosed is my tax return along with payment. Please take note of the attached article from the USA Today newspaper. In the article you will see that the Pentagon is paying $171.50 for hammers and NASA has paid $600.00 for a toilet seat. Please find enclosed four toilet seats (value $2400) and six hammers (value $1029). One screw (value $22). This brings my total payment to $3429.00. Please note the overpayment of $22.00 and apply it to the 'Presidential Election Fund', as noted on my return. Might I suggest you then send the above mentioned fund a '1.5 inch screw' . (See attached article where HUD paid $22.00 for a 1.5 inch Phillips Head Screw.) It has been a pleasure to pay my tax bill this year, and I look forward to paying it again next year. I have just read an article about the Pentagon and 'screwdrivers'. That one is from a few years ago but it does make a point. I also read about the two IRS Agents that showed up to collect past due taxes at a car wash. The amount due originally was less than a dollar but with penalties and interest it was now over $200. It had been an oversight so the owner didn't mind paying the bill but was stunned they sent two agents to collect $200. Yep. That's the way Uncle Sam rolls folks, that's the way he rolls. Have a good one and may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: