Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Happy birthday to my wife, a most remarkable woman!

Today is a special day for me and the rest of our family. It's Tuesday, April 23, 2013. It's another birthday for us to celebrate! That's right. Today, I pause to thank God for my wife on her birthday. We've been hanging out together since August of 1962 and as husband and wife since 1964. Wow! You don't have to do the math to know this reflects quite a few years of us tiptoeing through the tulips together. I found this little quote from that famous philosopher Christopher Robin of Winnie the Pooh fame, and I thought it seemed appropriate for this special recognition: "If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.... I'll always be with you." She is a most remarkable woman and I can assure one and all that neither I nor any of our clan have any reservations in fulfilling our response to her as reflected in the passage from Proverbs 31: "Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all.'” My paraphrase over the years sounds like this: "Happy Birthday Sweetheart and always remember that...... Baby, you're the greatest!"

The other evening when they were running that commercial for a die-cast of a 1948 Ford F-1 Pickup truck I asked my wife if it reminded her of anything. She said, "Not really." I told her that it was a pickup truck that looked just like that one that I was riding in the night we chased her and her friends after the singing school was over. We had seen each other one time before in passing but this was the first time we actually met. I was a passenger riding with a buddy, in a 1949 Black Ford Pickup that featured the famous Flathead V8. Then she said, "I didn't know y'all were in a pickup." She was either not very observant or meeting me face to face kind of messed with her ability to remember anything else. Hold on. Don't get all bent out of shape. It's my story and I can tell it anyway I want to. I would not even want to know how fast that old truck could run. But, whatever speed it was, and I can tell you it could flat out go, I was hanging on for the ride. I've also seen it running low on water to the extent that the motor actually glowed in the dark. And, to think, she didn't even notice what vehicle we were traveling in. Girls. Go figure.


Speaking of commercials, have you seen the 5 Hour Energy ad where they talk about how much coffee is consumed each week? According to that commercial, Americans consume nearly three billion cups of coffee per week. There's somewhere around 315 million of us here in the land of the free and the home of the brave, therefore, that's just shy of 10 cups a day for every man, woman, and child, including newborns. I do know I am doing my part but it's hard to imagine that much coffee being consumed and just think: A whole lot of it is not Community. This huge number likely reflects the huge growth in all of those flavored coffee concoctions being served up at those places that call themselves coffeehouses. I do see those cups almost everywhere I go. At a little less than $5 a pop, well, I suppose they built it, and yes, they did come. Given this much go juice each day, it seems we all should be a little more alert, don't you think? Just saying. So, here's the deal: I want you to get out there now, and have a good day, make it a winner, if you will, one for the Gipper. May God bless each one. Amen.         ....More later.

No comments: