Friday, April 19, 2013

"I'm not afraid of storms for I'm learning how to sail my ship." Louisa May Alcott, Author, (1832-1888)


As I prepare to send out my blog today, we learn of more violence and a very scary situation ongoing in the Boston area. One suspect has been reported as being killed along with two law enforcement officials. At 4 a.m., the other suspect was still being sought. We pray for everyone involved and especially for those who are putting themselves in harm's way to serve and protect us all. May God help them all. Amen.


Friday is here and I do bid you a hearty hello here at the ole blogger ranch. It's April 19, 2013, where I am busying myself as I continue the journey on my way to that heavenly home where I belong. It is a dangerous world that we live in. All of us. No exceptions. Just this week: Bombing in Boston; calamitous poison mailed to the highest people in our government; a fire that leads to a huge explosion here in Texas claiming lives and wounding dozens. I was out on the road quite a bit this week and I saw numerous serious car crashes and one late model vehicle completely engulfed in flames. This tells us that folks get up every day with their own thoughts, plans, and ideas about how their day will play out, but, they, you, and I, never really know. I well remember the testimony of a fellow who lost a close coworker who was killed on his way into the office. This man stood up in a meeting of our local congregation and was visibly shaken as he recounted this loss along with a sincere recommendation. He said that everyone should take the time, every single day, to express love and caring to those close to them and to do so before they leave the house, because, like his coworker, you just never know what a day might bring. And, it's also very much a matter of highest priority to know that no matter in what way you exit this life that you are ready to be 'absent from the body and present with the Lord'. (2nd Corinthians 5:8) Amen.

This is not to say that the world where a fallen human family exists has not always been a dangerous place, and in many ways much more dangerous in the past than it is today. My grandfather was born in 1900. The life expectancy for his generation was, on average, around 50 years. Today we enjoy the benefits of modern medicine and more healthy foods, therefore, the life expectancy is now closing in on 80 years, on average. Now that is something to think about. One of the greatest areas of growth in terms of percentage is found in the very elderly, those living past 90. So, it's not all gloom, doom, and despair. I always think of that song "Go Rest High on that Mountain" when I think of my grandfather who died suddenly at age 71. I heard Vince Gill talking about that song he had written in memory of his brother. He had no idea it would become such a source of comfort to people throughout our land. You see, I've come to regard my granddad's death as his reward because he had fought the good fight of faith throughout his lifetime. I can see him standing in his pew rocking forth and back with that songbook in his hand as the words of that chorus fill my mind: "Go rest high on that mountain Cause, son your work on earth is done Go to heaven a shoutin' Love for the Father and the Son." (That inscription on his grave marker is from his favorite gospel song: "I don't know about tomorrow but I know who holds my hand.)

Those are precious memories indeed and I am thankful for the many that God has allowed me to experience and remember. Sure, I'm not unaware about the other stuff as well, and, there's been plenty of that too, but, my oh my, how blessed I am to have an overflowing mental file cabinet of those that thrill my heart. I am also very cognizant of that file marked regrets because it's pretty thick also. Most of those are not eligible for a 'do over' but they do inform my life today. What am I saying? Duh? We should be doing our best, with God's help, not to be adding to that file. This has been some week and I know it has brought plenty of sadness and pain to many. We pray for them as well as our nation. We also anticipate the upcoming Lord Day's Sunday where we will gather together to pray, sing, worship, and hear from God. He will be there in a special way and I look forward to experiencing His presence alongside His family. You might want to do the same. And, may He be with us all, until we meet again. Amen. Next Monday if everything goes according to plan.       ....More later.

No comments: