Friday, April 26, 2013

Pastor: "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You can now update your Facebook status."

It's Friday, April 26, 2013, where the weather the past couple of days seems to be having more trouble making up its mind than a teenager buying clothes at the mall. I can only imagine what the thermostat on our home central system is thinking. "Heat to cold, cold to heat, repeat and repeat, you guys are wearing me out!" It's been that kind of year thus far but I still favor the cool so these brief interludes have been happy ones for me. I'm also glad to report the Community Coffee is holding up quite well under any and all challenges. My wife had a most wonderful birthday tour. She went shopping last Friday. On Sunday, we took a birthday field trip to Goodrich, Texas for a catfish luncheon with family. She received numerous cards in the mail, phone calls, text messages, and she's also gotten gifts as well. Rodney was not able to be with us on Sunday so he carried his mom to lunch yesterday. Meanwhile, she literally lit up Facebook with so many giving credence to her testimony, along with their warm well wishes. And, to top it all off, I took her out Tuesday evening for a steak dinner. Now you know what it's like to be a part of a celebrity's family. Because she is our celebrity and that's a fact Jack, and I don't need Uncle Si saying it to make it true!

On top of all of that, she's also our celebrity chef as she occasionally lays out a table filled up with home cooked goodies. This would not be thought of as cuisine by the food elite, but I'll take me some field peas, fried okra, mustard greens, cornbread, fresh tomatoes, served up with pork chops any day of the week. Slap some homemade pepper sauce drizzled over it all and it will make Colonel Sanders ashamed of calling anything he ever had anything to do with, 'Finger Lickin Good'. What's that you say? What about my diabetes? You will take notice that I made sure the word occasionally was well positioned in my opening sentence. Coming home in the evening and walking through that back door with all these goodies on the stove top, well, it very much represents what that old song says about the memories, oh, so precious, and how they do flood my soul. I do thank my mom for giving us some of their homegrown garden produce out of their freezer. And, for Marilyn's sister who has done the same along with making the pepper sauce. Because of health concerns they've change the finger lickin to 'So Good' but even that is an insult to the kind of meal I'm talking about. 'So Good!' Who ever heard tell?

I've spoken often about my disdain for chain letter types of emails. I have one wonderful older fellow friend that sends me tons of them. They usually have a pretty good message but those dire indictments at the end always leave me a little disappointed. "If you don't forward this, then you don't love God, or Jesus, or children, or those serving in the military, or those who are in need", and new ones are included all the time. Thankfully he doesn't originate these and I know he is not one that would hold those beliefs about whether one chooses to forward it or not. But, it still bugs me that I get a steady stream of these types of communications. Yes, I do know how to delete them. Faster than a speeding bullet. It's like some folks that try to shame others into supporting their particular ministry when there are dozens of others that people are already plugged into. They could be sending that individual who is shaming them the same types of 'How can you say you love Jesus if you don't.......(fill in the blank.) Okay. That's my pet peeve, for the moment anyway, so it is time to say farewell for now. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I look forward to seeing you again real soon. May God bless. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: