Friday, April 5, 2013

"There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is love.” –Bernard of Clairvaux (1090-1153)


Today is a day where we are remembering our very first grandchild, our Tiffany Marrie, born 25 years ago, on April 5, 1988. It's hard to even estimate how much joy that girl brought into our lives. I didn't know exactly what kind of grandfather I would be, but, from the testimony of those who worked with me each day, I was just about as proud and obnoxious as any they had ever had to deal with. My office was literally plastered for years with every photo and portrait we could figure out how to make. I even had one lady who observed all this fanatical behavior and wondered out loud how difficult would it be for her to be adopted by my wife and I. When our Tiffany did something special at school, well, no child had ever done it quite a well as she did. Now she is a woman with a beautiful child named Madelyn Joy. (And, our eldest, Chris, little Madi's PawPaw is doing his best to upstage me in the granddad antics department.) Twenty five years. Seems impossible, but, time marches on and we pray every single day that our Tiffany will grow and develop to accomplish all that God has planned for her. Happy Birthday Tiff, and may God add His blessings to your special day. Love, MiMi and Poppy

And, that's not all folks. It is Friday, April 5, 2013 and I have the distinguished privilege or extinguished, depending on your point of view, of sending out episode number 1500 of these daily blogging visits. I know. Some of you wish you could be here to bust open a bottle of champagne on my noggin. Perhaps that would knock some sense into my rambling prose. (Conservative estimate is 1.2 million words with War and Peace only using a few less than 545,000.) But, if I am correct, I believe they mostly do the bottle deal to dedicate new ships, and, at this late date it might just be too little too late to make any significant alterations in my approach to writing. That doesn't mean I am not always striving to do better because I actually do try quite a bit to improve on my stringing of words together in a way that better communicates a thought, idea, or even an attempt to bring a smile. I have for more than twenty years written a weekly article for my Bible study handout for each Sunday. It's four pages of images, verses, and it includes four columns of my thoughts about the lesson, the points being made, and the applications I see for myself and others. I had a lady tell me once that when she reads my lesson handout she can hear me saying those very words. I told her that was exactly what I wanted her to hear and that's what I want my blog readers to hear also. Yes, it's obviously a one way conversation but I like to think of it being  a visit between folks sitting on the front porch.

I've enjoyed this journey and I do appreciate the feedback I receive from time to time. I've had some that have talked about how something I wrote caused them to stop and think. Others have been able to walk alongside as I have ventured a stroll down memory lane. Some tears. You betcha. They are a part of life. Some disagreements. I'm sure. We all have our way of looking at things. Family. A dominant factor in my world. Some corrections when I've gone off the deep end. Yes. And, I'm thankful for that because accuracy is something I take seriously. A lot has changed in these six years of sharing. Changes in the political world. Changes in the financial world. Changes in our society. Yet, I am glad to report that the Changeless One is still ultimately in charge of all things, period! (Malachi 3:6) I think most of my visits do include a word to us all about the object of our faith, that being our great God and Father as revealed to us through His Son, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. That's not a bad recurring theme folks. Not bad at all. Amen. Now it is on to 1501!     ....More later.

No comments: