Monday, January 21, 2013

"We need to reclaim our American system of limited government, low taxes, reasonable regulations, and sound money, which has blessed us with unprecedented prosperity. And it has done more to help the poor than any other economic system ever designed." Paul Ryan

Welcome back. I trust that all is well with you on this back to work Monday, January 21, 2013. My mom tried to pin me down a little concerning that ditty I wrote about being cold. I think she may have used the word finally, but I told her it was exaggerated some and that I am yet not ready to admit defeat to old Jack Frost. It was the rain that put that chill in my bones. I know this because last Thursday we had a pretty good little freeze going on. There was ice on my car. Not frost. Ice. And, it was a 27 degree start here at the company. Beautiful. Clear. Cold. Still. Yet, absent the rain, I didn't get chilled like I had before. I'm not saying that I was unaware that the temperature was where it was because there are just a few things where I can join Yogi Bear in saying, "I'm smarter than the average bear." Or, I could give you this input from another Yogi, Yogi Berra, who had this to say about the cold weather, "The wind had to be blowing 20 degrees." Maybe that was his take on wind chill. I will tell you this. Coming in from unlocking all the facilities on a 27 degree morning makes the Community even that much better. I hear all those Amens out there. As it should be!

Here's a question for many of us: How's that new healthcare law working for you? We've only just begun but so far it's working for us at the tune of about a 40% increase in our out of pocket spending. That's based on co-pays for doctor visits and the changes to our drug coverages. I know. I'm just one little squeaky voice in a long line of those wishing to complain. Most of us can relate to the impact when it lands in our lap or our pocketbook. If and when we have to do a hospital stay, that's when the full impact will be seen for all it's worth. What gets me is how the folks in this administration seem to get a pass on these kinds of programs. They said they would protect the little guy but according to published reports those making the least have been hardest hit in seeing their net pay go down. The administration claims victory, the mainstream media applaud until their hands get tired, and we all just go on down the road. We are left to deal with reality. Facts are facts. Our family is firmly in the so called middle class and that supposedly is the group targeted for relief. Yet, they don't give relief, they add to our burden, and it seems the majority are praising their actions. It's eerie folks, downright eerie. 

I heard this one before but I heard it again and thought it was kind of funny. The fellow on the radio from the government Centers for Disease Control reminded everyone when washing their hands to ward off the potential flu bug, that each individual should keep washing until they have sung through the happy birthday song, twice. Got it. I would only suggest that sharing bathroom facilities with 25 other guys, you might want to sing that song under your breath. For me, it wouldn't be too bad since for the most part they think I'm a little off anyway. Little. That's a guess. They might think more not less in the off category for me. I do confess that I am a serial user of hand sanitizer. In fact, I just finished re-reading that sentence and it reminded me to pump some on my hands just for good measure. According to the bottle it's supposed to kill 99.99% of germs, and, as far as I know, you can use it without any singing. Let's hope I avoid the 00.01% that could slip through the cracks. I think I've given us all at least a little to mull over as we continue our Monday journey. Here's what I recommend: Go out there and have yourself a healthy and blessed day, with God's help, of course. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: