Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"I'm leaving because the weather is too good. I hate London when it's not raining." Groucho Marx

Hello and welcome to Wednesday's episode here at the ole Blogger Ranch where worn out words go to meet their end. It is January 30th, 2013 and I do enjoy our time together each day. We've been toying with 80 degree highs here but as they say, if that doesn't suit you, hang around a little while, because it will most certainly change. We've actually been having 70's for lows but we wake up today to mid fifties with a promise of mid 30's in the morning. Yikes. Someone wrote an article the other day in the big metro paper about how that our area may have the cold weather behind us for this winter season. With February and March coming up and based on the observations I've made over my 66 plus years of seasonal changes, well, I don't think I would have made that prediction. But today does reflect a major change. Short sleeve to long sleeve. Long sleeve plus a jacket. A fellow in our Church just returned from a business trip in Northwest Canada. Real temperature was 35 degrees below zero with the wind chill at 42 below. He said they didn't recommend being outside more than 60 to 90 seconds at a time. I've never been where it was that cold although I did spend time in the Chicago area when it was below zero for several days. I suppose we can be thankful for our Yo Yo weather here. It's beach attire one day and button up against the chill the next. And, around these parts, you can stay outside pretty much as long as you want to.

My wife came home yesterday. She had been over in Louisiana since last Friday. I used to tell people when she was gone that long it required a certain amount of retraining. I quit saying that a long time ago. No. It's not what you are thinking. I didn't give up. It was a joke or at least mostly a joke but I am so glad to have her back. Things are off just a hair when she's not around. It's noticeable. She was over to visit and cheer up her sister. Her brothers were there. They had a mini family reunion. And, she also needed a break from all the crisis management she has to deal with in and around our little world. That's part of the fabric of life. All families have their challenges. One person said they thought the reason God doesn't give us a view of the future is because we probably couldn't handle it. I'm not sure exactly what I think about that statement, but needless to say, none of us know what we could be facing, even today, much less in the longer term future. That's why we need a foundation from which to operate our lives. That foundation, according to The Scriptures, is found in knowing God through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. That's the only way I know that we can somehow make it in our tipsy topsy world. Amen.

We all know that life is filled up with conundrums, you know, those hard to figure out problems or questions. And, a conundrum can also be a funny statement or question that typically includes a pun of some type. I like those better than the ones that include a problem. Some of them are pretty silly. ~ How much does it cost a pirate to get his ears pierced? A buck a ear. (Buccaneer ) ~ If a turtle loses it shell, is it naked or homeless? ~ If you try to fail, but you succeed, which have you done? These next ones come from a book devoted to the subject, published in 1903, "Conundrums, Riddles and Puzzles". It starts out with this one: Why is life the greatest conundrum? Because we all must give it up. ~ Why is a kiss like a sermon? Because it needs two heads and an application. ~ The last one, I promise: What would you say if you sat down to dinner and only a beet was on the plate? That beets all. ~ It was, after all, 1903. There were others that were pretty good but not to the modern ear so I figured I had better quit now or forever hold my peace. Have a great day and may God bless is my prayer. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: