Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"Let's stop talking about new taxes and start talking about creating new taxpayers, which basically means jobs." Marco Rubio

Sure enough. We made it. Opened up the calendar book and found out that it is Tuesday, January 15, 2013. There is another 15th that is looming on the horizon, as in April. Those of us who do our best to try to keep up with all the shenanigans going on in Washington were well aware about the removal of the so called tax holiday. But, obviously, there are countless millions who do not keep up and when they saw their net pay reduced they let out a howl. That caused a flurry of editorials and other reporting where folks were saying they had been fooled, hoodwinked, cheated, and lied to. Okay. Pardon me but I'm going to switch on my cynical lens for a moment so some of you might want to look away. "Fooled, hoodwinked, cheated, and lied to are only appetizers on the Capitol menu. With the main courses coming up next, the debt limit and so called automatic spending cuts." Sorry to be a little negative to start the day but it actually comes from my more than 50 years of paying federal, state, and local taxes. I do know the Bible tells us to pay our taxes but it also says there should be honesty and integrity in those who would govern. All I can say to those folks who are feeling let down is that they need to stay tuned because I fear we've only just begun.

I did get myself chilled to the bone yesterday morning. I wanted to share that little tidbit with all those who think I somehow share a love for cold with the polar bears. It was maybe 38 degrees but we had a heavy misting rain and I didn't see fit to wear gloves or use an umbrella while unlocking all of our facilities. I'm not saying I was really that cold but I will tell you this. It might just have been a pretty doggone good down payment on that time when I might begin to be really cold. I noticed my hand was shaking a little as I tried to unlock that last building. I suppose I forgot to remember my grandfather's theory about cold being mostly in your mind. Once the shaking starts it's a little late for theories. But, it did make me yearn for one of those old fashioned open flame space heaters so that I could warm my shaky hands. You remember those heaters. You would stand up against it too long and some fine specimen of a person would come along and grab your pants leg and pull it causing that super heated contact and you would jump straight up in the air. Those were the days. Yep. Pardner. Those were the days.

I suppose I could give a brief update on the Community Coffee saga. My sister JoAnn sent me a note the other day and said she had switched. Or, I believe she used the word converted. To Community. I have a niece in Florida who exchanges funnies about coffee with me on Facebook. She knows about Community and she likes Community but she got one of those fancy making machines for Christmas and now says she is hooked on some type of Starbucks something. I sent her a note about how I had considered filing a complaint for false advertising because the Starbucks people actually call what they serve .....coffee. However, you can't argue with their success to the tune of billions. In fact, a recent report showed how that teenagers are now drinking more caffeinated flavored coffee drinks than sodas. Wow! I see them all the time. These kids are all over the place sporting those long tall Starbucks cups with the whipped cream on top. About $5 minimum. And, to think, they call it coffee. My wife and I recently frequented one of their establishments at an outlet mall. It was cold and she had a hot chocolate and I had a cup of their supposed strong drink referred to as coffee up on their board. Yes. I did drink it. At $3 for a small cup, you don't think I would leave it, did you? It made me want to go back to the hotel room and make me a cup of Community. That's right. I carried my little coffee maker with me. That's the way I ride pardner but I respect your right to choose even if it's not real coffee. Have a great day and may God bless. Amen.   ...More later.

No comments: