Monday, January 28, 2013

"Doctor, whenever I get up after a sleep, I feel dizzy for half an hour, then I'm all right." Doctor replies: "Wait for another half hour before getting up."

I've been fasting. Well, nearly everyone does that. At least while we all are sleeping. Right? But, this is a little more than that since I will be going this morning for my 6 months diabetic check-up. It is Monday, January 28, 2013, and I have been studying for my big series of tests. Blood tests that is. I am tuned in to most of the stuff that hits the airwaves about diabetes. I've looked at all kinds of listings that reflect techniques, foods to eat, those that should be avoided, and schemes that promise to eradicate the disease all together. Now that would be nice. One of the things I find interesting on the food lists is the wide variety you can safely eat BUT most come with the caveat of that ever lurking warning: In Moderation. Avocado is a good choice. I do love me some avocados. But, I'm not sure a couple of postage stamp sized slivers is what I have in mind when I think of them. And, oh yeah, don't forget, that while some of these on the good list are low in carbs, they may not be that low in calories. It's almost like playing a game of gotcha roulette. The real number we diabetics live by is the one that reports average blood sugar levels over a more extended time period. It's called the A1c or for those who like the technical stuff, it's the HbA1c. The target is to keep it under 7.0 and I'm thankful that since discovering I have the beast I've done that consistently, typically in the 6.3 to 6.5 range. They call that well controlled. I call it a pain in my finger tips. But, I am very serious when I say I am thankful to God for the medications and the support I receive in helping me to deal with this unwelcome part of my life.

I did find a few random hits that said they thought it was okay to drink coffee before the testing. However, all the respected medical sites say no. My heart says go with the unrespected but my desire to get the best reading leads me to abstain. That means it will be around 10 a.m. before I get my first sip of the day, and that will likely be from one of the drive thru establishments on my way back to work. Yes. I do know there are quite a few of the convenience stores that serve up Community. However, I'm typically not inclined to want to stop, get out of my car, and go in for a cup. I also know which of the fast food places that serve the best substitute coffee and it will not be that long until I hear that sweet singing spitting, sputtering, and burping of my little one cup maker sitting next to my computer. I had a lady tell me recently that she believed I had convinced her that Community was the best. While I appreciated her vote of support, seeing her dump four sugars and four creams into her cup made me just a tad suspicious. However, knowing what a gracious person she is, she may have been humoring me, and that's a good thing, especially when it involves Community. Lately I've been reducing the amount of water I use and I found out something. It makes it much stronger when you do that. I was attempting to prove up the case that says a little goes a long way. I report, you decide, and for the record: It does!

I don't know exactly what that cartoon has to do with today's episode but I thought it was funny so I decided to share it. Maybe it reminds me that I have issues, you have issues, all God's children have issues. I've had reason lately to be reminded that when you are in a position of leadership or in helping to influence decisions on serious matters, well, it can be a very lonely experience. Sometimes folks draw conclusions that are unwarranted. They may assume things about the deliberative process and the motivation behind decisions and outcomes. The one thing a leader cannot do is to try and answer every one of these misunderstandings. No one likes to be thought of in a bad light by those they care for deeply. However, sometimes that's one of the things that comes with the responsibility where there is confidentiality and the feelings of others to consider. I always try to see it from their point of view, therefore, I do my best to not let it bother me. In the end, I have confidence in the truth and know that God will bless when we seek to follow His direction. Now, it's left up to you and I to go out there and mark off today with distinction and service. Have a great one and may God bless us all. Amen.   ..More later.

No comments: