Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"It is requisite for the relaxation of the mind that we make use, from time to time, of playful deeds and jokes." Thomas Aquinas, Theologian, (1227-1274)

Good Tuesday morning. Come on in and take a load off and let's enjoy a visit for a spell. After all, it's going to be today all day long on this January 29th in this year of 2013 that we all are trying to get our arms around. Doctor's visit went good. I will get the results from the testing on their website and they will send an email when they are ready to view. Electronically. I will have all the details which I suppose is somewhat better than back in the day when they would say if you don't hear from us, don't worry about it. Who said anything about worrying? Should I be worried? What if they needed to contact me but something went wrong? Maybe they forgot. Maybe they called and I was out and then they misplaced my paperwork. Perhaps I should call. You know, just to be sure. Yeah. I think this electronic system may be a step forward. I was prepared to discuss the small weight gain by telling them I was wearing particularly heavy work clothes. Now that I see that in print it doesn't really look as convincing as I thought at first. Oh well, they didn't mention it so I'll save it for another time.


The doctor's office waiting room is always a good source for a human interest story. I couldn't help but hear this couple discussing a situation. They looked to be in their mid seventies and while I can't say it was out and out arguing it was close enough to give a point had they been playing horseshoes. It seems the lady did not think she needed to be checked by the doctor. She demanded that he tell her just exactly when he had observed her coughing. And, she said she knew that he and the girls were in on it because they too had been pushing her. This older lady nurse called all of us in at the same time. She called them, Mr. and Mrs., and me. We all more or less lined up and went through the door. We were unsure what was going on and she didn't seem exactly clear which door we should be put behind. She finally worked it out and after we had bumped into each other a time or two, we finally found our examination room. It was like one of those Three Stooges skits. My advice to that dear nurse lady is to only call one at a time because she looked as befuddled as we did. See what fun you can have, even at the doctors office.

How could I refuse this boy?
Kids have a way of letting you know exactly where they stand. Alexander Benjamin, 7, came downstairs and informed me that he was hungry. That's a fairly routine event but this time he added that he was bored and when he gets bored he gets hungry and then he threw in this kicker: "And, Poppy, right now I am very bored." I don't know what I would have said to one of our boys had they ever come downstairs with that kind of request. I do know that I would have never even dreamed of saying something like that to my grandfather. But, times change, and hearing his clear delineation of the facts as he saw them, I, as his loving Poppy, dutifully got up and fixed him a big bowl of Cocoa Puffs. I did live to see that softening in my granddad as he dealt with our Chris, and I am witness that history does repeat itself because it's glaringly obvious not only in me but in our Chris' handling of his little granddaughter Madi Girl. What's that they say? The more things change, it is the more they stay the same. That should do it for a Tuesday. Have a good one and may God bless us all. Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: