Wednesday, January 23, 2013

“An empty stomach is not a good political advisor” — Albert Einstein

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.” (A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens) Not a bad way to start on a Wednesday, here on January 23, 2013. This is one of the most famous opening lines from a book but it also resonates with me in trying to express some of what our nation is going through today. Some folks are doing well. Others are struggling. Last weekend the Batmobile from the original TV series sold for $4.5 million dollars at auction. In fact, at that same car auction they set a record for that location, selling nearly $30 million dollars worth of collector cars. I recently overhead a conversation where a young man was trying to borrow some gasoline. The fellow said he could give him some money. The young man said that wouldn't help him because he didn't have enough to get to a station. They were able to work out a temporary solution. His story could be repeated many times over every day from countless millions of folks struggling to meet their very basic needs. I'm not trying to stir the pot regarding the haves versus the have nots, but, I am saying that we who are not in that situation should be very thankful to God, and, we should, when and where we can, do what we can to help those less fortunate than ourselves. Hearing the hurt in that young man's plea convicted me. I paused to thank God for the things I so often take for granted. 

I listened to the President's second term inauguration speech. Good speech. It seemed to me that it was tailored and directed primarily towards his base and based on the comments of the so called pundits and experts, the President tacked very significantly to the left in his presentation of the plans and programs he intends to pursue in this, his last four years. I didn't read the article but I saw the title of a report from the political director for one of the major broadcast networks. It went something like this: "Why Obama must destroy the Republican Party if he is to accomplish transformational change." We do know from history how difficult it is for any President to succeed in a second term. Now that President Obama no longer has to worry about reelection, he and his formidable resources will do all they can to build some type of monument of a legacy that will try and defy the second term malaise that has hampered so many of his predecessors. I wish him and his family no ill will whatsoever. In fact, on inauguration day, I prayed a special prayer for him, for the Vice President, and their families as they embark on this next four years. As for many, if not most, of his plans, I do not support them and I pray they will not be enacted, as they, in my opinion, will further distance our nation from the truths God has called us to uphold. May His will be done is my prayer. Amen.

I read a post by a young man the other day on Facebook. He was lamenting the many hate filled comments, articles, and cartoons being posted that target the President. He was not a supporter of the President but he said what was sad to him was the fact that many of the people publishing this stuff pass themselves off as God fearing, faithful and loving servants of the Lord Jesus Christ. He went on to talk about how that some of the folks involved in this activity were Church people, those who had influenced and impacted his life. I understand exactly what he is saying. In this country every individual has the right to stand against policies and plans that run counter to what we hold to be the truth as God has given it to us. However, when we turn our opposition of policies into personal hatred, racial bigotry, and the wishing of harm to the man and his family, I believe we have turned our backs on the Scriptural mandate. Here's what Jesus said: "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;...." (Matthew 5:44) Also we are clearly directed to pray for those who have the leadership responsibility. At a time when a pagan Rome ruled the world, here's what the Apostle Paul said in his instructions to his missionary helper Timothy: "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty." (1 Timothy 2:1-2) If you read my blogs you know that I exercise my right to have a dissenting opinion, often. But, I thought it would be good for us all to be reminded of the context we, as believers,  should follow as we seek to take our stand for truth. Food for thought as we all seek to please our Great God. Amen.     .....More later.

No comments: