Thursday, January 24, 2013

If you have a lot of tension and you get headaches, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two and keep away from children."

See what I mean?
Hello my fellow Americans and others from various spots on the globe that show up from time to time, welcome to our Thursday edition on this January 24, 2013. I had an eye appointment this past Monday afternoon. I typically see the ophthalmologist to keep up with my eyes in relationship to my diabetes. This visit was to the optometrist to do an examination and fitting for my contacts. I'm very used to having medical professionals attend to my needs who are in and around the age of my children. I believe this might be the first time I've had a young woman who could be my granddaughter taking care of me. Hello? My wife had used her before and she referred to her as a child doctor. She and the other eye expert I see do not like the night and day contacts, period, end of story. They don't like them for anyone but they believe a diabetic is playing a very dangerous game by using extended wear contacts. We talked and talked. I've never had even a hint of trouble with my contacts. But, in the end, they convinced me to change back to regular glasses. They believe that is the safest way for me to take care of my eyes. I could have gone with daily wear, taken out at night, and new ones reinstalled each morning, but, since you know who is the only one that can put them in for me, well, I would not ask her to get up and do that every single day. When I was talking to mom about it, I heard who know who say in the background that it was time for me to get some modern looking glasses for a change. Here we go again. Lipstick on the pig, or something like that.


You don't have to know one cotton picking thing about rocket science to gain appreciation for how cell phone technology pretty much dominates the world of communications. Statistics prove that accidents caused by distracted driving due to texting has become an already huge but growing problem. One fellow reported that his daughter had logged just under 20,000 minutes of cell phone time in one month. That's over 300 hours, just under one half of the hours available in a month. The most recent statistic I found was that Americans use, on average, some 500 minutes of time each month on their cell phones making and receiving calls. On average, for all cell phone users and may I just say that is a whole lot of minutes folks! Of course with the advent of smart internet connected phones, they can stay on literally 24x7. That caused me to look at my own usage. Last month I used up a little over 1400 minutes of time talking on my cell phone. That's nearly one full day of time. The overwhelming majority consumed for me was for my family, both near and far. And, I think that using it for that purpose is very positive. But, it does give one pause to wonder how that full day was being filled up before the cell phone came along. Maybe that time was being used to fetch wood or draw water. Or, maybe not.

The last two Tuesday nights it was my privilege to rejoin our inner city Crosstrainer's Bible Club. I had been out for the month of December due to my Santa schedule. The good news is that they did not forget me. That's always nice. Right? None of us want to be like the joke where the guy is sent off to camp as a kid and when he returns his family has moved without leaving a forwarding address. I can't say enough regarding my respect and admiration for Pastor Kim and his family who have labored in that community for so many years. They have stayed with it and they continue to keep on keeping on. There have been and continue to be many challenges but their faith has kept them focused. I don't even know how many kids have cycled in and out of the club during my thirteen years but some of them are adults with their own children now. Our desire is to lay down a foundation of truth that brings salvation to each child and after that to fill them up with God's plan to help them live out their days. Sadly, many of these children live in disrupted and difficult circumstances. Some have lost their lives and a few have lost their freedom as they have ended up in prison. Yet, others have received the gift of God and they are carrying forth His truths with them as they grow. What a privilege folks, what a privilege to be a part of such a wonderful ministry. Amen and Amen. See you next time, and until then, may God bless each one. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: