Friday, January 25, 2013

Deja new: The feeling I haven't experienced this before. (AKA, "Vuja De" - Nothing like this HAS EVER happened to me before.)

We can breathe just a little easier because we made it to Friday, and it turns out to be on January 25, 2013. The blog I wrote the other day about growing older and living out our time, one day at a time, well, my wife thought it was perhaps an old blog that I was recycling. I actually wrote it from scratch so to speak but that doesn't mean it isn't a retread of sorts. Maybe that stereotypical age related repeating of myself is rearing its ugly head. Or, maybe my views on life, over time, are somewhat consistent, therefore, some of my blogs may end up being redundantly repetitive. (I've always wanted to use those two words together.) I had thought she would have commented on the two lady alligators with the one carrying the handbag made out of her ex-husband. I thought that to be a funny one and I don't remember ever using it in the past. And, my favorite on the list of old age indicators was the one about waking up and looking exactly like the photo on your driver's license. I thought that one was pretty good, and, I can't recall that I have ever used it in the past. But, who's to say? Maybe my grandfather was right. I may just be like the proverbial crayfish who goes backwards because he doesn't care so much about where he's headed but is more focused on where he has been. You know, life in the rear view mirror, so to speak. Then again, you know who may have had one of those déjà vu moments where she had a sensation of having been there before. A lot to think about folks. A whole lot.

But life can be quite unpredictable, can't it? I read the obituary of a fellow the other day who had passed on at age 92. He is survived by his wife Phyllis. That all sounds pretty standard but what got my attention was those listed who had predeceased him: wife Florence, wife Necia, and wife Helen. That's a lot of grieving over mates for one man to endure and it struck me that he obviously was the marrying type. I know you are impressed in how I picked up on that one. Based on what I read, I can surmise that when he survived his stint in the US Navy, graduated from college, and set out to settle down with a new family, well, he never dreamed that one day that's how the write up would read when his life was done. He had been a successful business owner and long time volunteer at a cancer hospital where he operated what was called his 'jolly trolly' where he would transport people from their cars to the hospital. Grieving and giving. They both are a part of the life we've been entrusted with. Most of us brace for the grieving that will come but it wouldn't hurt for us to think some about the giving as well. And, he certainly would have never dreamed that his life story would be mentioned by a blog writer like me. You just never know folks. You just never know.

And, as you know, that's what this blog writer does quite often. Mention stuff. After my dear friend Brother Jim left the Company, I was, for a good long while the elder representative here on the property. However, this past year, Sam, a journeyman fabricator and welder, got bored in retirement and he returned to work. He has me by a few years. I always turn on his little electric heater on cold mornings. That heater is one of those long narrow models that puts out a whole lot more color than heat. Some days I go out to his area before work and he and I spend time reminiscing about the good old days or the plight of social security and stuff like that. You know. The really interesting topics. The other morning it was about 40 degrees and he and I were jawing away when this young whipper snapper comes bounding into the shop wearing his jeans and a white t-shirt. This fellow has one of the best attitudes I've seen in a long time, especially for someone his age. Nothing but a t-shirt in 40 degree weather. Who does he think he is? Maybe me, some 40 years ago. That yielded some instant recognition and respect while I continued to warm myself over that glowing color that passes itself off as heat. Mentioning stuff, that brings me to the end of another week here at the old blogger roundup place. I've rounded up what I could but I'll continue to look for some strays to share with you next time. Have yourself a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and I'll do my best to catch up with you on Monday. Lord willing, of course. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: