Monday, December 5, 2011

Wonderful but dangerous rain, extra cold weather on the way, and here's my response: Have another cup of Community and let's talk about it!

Hello again and welcome back. It's Tuesday, December 5, 2011, and this year is zipping by. I drove through what can only be described as a blinding rainstorm at times this morning. I was thanking God for the deluge but also seeking His guidance and care as I drove. There were intervals where the windshield wipers were not of great use regardless of the speed. We haven't had rain like that in quite a spell. We continue to need the rain and it is a blessing. At the same time we know it will be treacherous out on the roadways, therefore, we pray for all who have to get out. It is good to visit with you again and I do pray that you are off to a good start as we all try to get ourselves focused and ready for what God has for us. I'm not one for sleeping in but there's something about a rainy day that does suggest that choice as an alternative. But for those of us who are blessed to have responsibilities at our jobs, we know there is a higher calling and this gives us the motivation to get up and do what we need to do each day. I don't say that with any gloating at all because regardless of how they fiddle with the national unemployment rate, there are millions upon millions who do not have a place to go and work, and there is a growing unseen and mostly uncounted massive crowd who have given up altogether. Therefore, I pause now, on this day, to offer up a prayer for those struggling to find work and I ask God to help, in Jesus Name, Amen.

We are supposed to have some very cold air creep in over the next day or two. Some have predicted us to be down in the high twenties. My reputation is such that when these forecasts come along folks assume I am overjoyed. I am but I worry about things like my age changing that around a little. Here I am talking about how I love cold weather and everyone knows that I feel that way and then bam, it gets here and I end up shivering and shaking like a wet puppy out in the snow. Not a very pretty picture along with a load of embarrassment, if you know what I mean. But, I do look forward to it and if I have to add a layer or two because my Medicare card tells me to, well, so be it. Sometimes it would be better for me not to share so much about particulars in my life. Last night our Pastor was talking about what it will be like when we get to heaven. We had been rehearsing some of the blessings we all had experienced at Thanksgiving and he was commenting about how all those wonderful food items and all the material things we enjoy in life would not matter to us when we arrive at our heavenly home. He said since our departed loved ones who know Christ are already there, then we would have relationships made here on earth to look forward to there. He said we would not have that special cornbread dressing or the perfectly cooked turkey. For some reason I couldn't resist so I blurted out the only thing I knew for sure was that we would have Community Coffee there. It brought a good laugh but I'm not sure folks gained any greater appreciation for my theological understanding.

I usually have some thoughts jotted down for my blog each day either on paper or on my mental notepad, or I typically have it drafted the day before. That gives me a better chance to polish it up a little before I send it out. Not today. I came in this morning facing a blank page with mostly a blank mind to match. What's that you say? It shows. I feel the same way. The good news is that I can always remind my readers that God is there for us all. Yesterday the wife and I visited a dear lady from our local fellowship who is currently in rehab from some major surgeries. She has been through a really rough time of it. During my prayer with her I mentioned something about thanking God for His faithfulness through the tough times in our lives. This wonderful saint of God who had been laying there so quietly suddenly shouted out a loud Amen and thanks to God. Now that is a blessing folks and it should encourage us all because regardless of what we are facing, God cares, and He will provide. It may not be the outcome we have in mind but He knows how to infuse His own with a sense of His Person and His abiding provision. May God help me this day to have a testimony that would be like this sweet lady where a shout out to God would come forth even in a pitiful situation. Some good thoughts to end on as we now turn our attention to making sure we have a working umbrella, or something like that. Have a great day and may God bless each one.  Amen.    .........More later.

No comments: