Thursday, December 8, 2011

My version: "Oh the weather outside may be frightful but the Community is hot and so delightful!"

I suppose when you work without a net and in my situation the only fact checker you have is yourself, you are bound to get something wrong like putting Tuesday for Monday. I was most likely thinking about what I was going to write about the next day even while I was writing that day's blog. Yeah. I know it is a little weird but if the shoe fits I suppose it belongs to me. That brings me to a correction from yesterday. I accidentally used the injury count twice for the Pear Harbor attack. The number killed should have been 2402 or at least that's what I read on the Wiki site. Having gotten that out of the way, I welcome you to Thursday, December 8, 2011, and I bid you a warm welcome at that, on this, somewhat chilly day, for us at least. Anything below freezing justifies that it be called cold and we've had a few days of it and to be honest it's been pretty nice, for a change, if you get my drift, not snow drift, but some are buzzing about hearing of a flake here or there. I know where there are plenty of flakes but not of the snow variety. Just joking. Now don't go trying to guess who I was referring to because it was just a throw down attempt at a little humor. One of the younger workers here told me yesterday that he had put on five layers but he dutifully noted with some amount of satisfaction that I was at least wearing a jacket. My reputation does get around and to think it's mostly because I find myself asking them the same question Paw Paw Mac used to ask me as I would stand with my teeth chattering: "Son, just what are you going to do when it really gets cold?"

Christmas is a special time. Those high school girls who worked as elves with us in our Santa appearance the other evening reminded us of that. They were talking about how excited they were that one of the cable channels was showing all the old Christmas cartoons. They mentioned the Burl Ives Rudolph and said that it was their favorite back in the day. Back in the day? Wait just a cotton picking minute. Does a sixteen year old child have even freedom of speech rights to use that phrase. Back in the day? My wife and I laughed about this later because our kids as little boys watched those same shows. Christmas is a special time. That old cartoon would not stand up to the latest whiz bang computer generated animation. But it invokes a memory that is cherished by kids of all ages. Nothing in the 3-D world can substitute for the association a child makes with a Christmastime memory that takes them back. My sister and I were talking the other day about that wooden crate of raisins Paw Paw used to order for Christmas. He had the local grocery store get it for him. It was a treat for us. Inside that crate the raisins were still on the vine and they tasted so wonderful and we always looked forward to them. A Christmastime memory that still echoes today and brings both a smile and a tear as we think about how it was, ... back in the day. 

Last Sunday at our Church attending the Birthday Party for Jesus.
I can't begin to tell all the little tidbits I've heard from children as I have portrayed that jolly old elf. I do my best to listen and enjoy them enjoying the experience. I have had more than one of our ladies in our Church tell me that their little ones tell everyone that Santa goes to their Church. I am also well aware of that transition time when children move on. It can be awkward as they enjoy Santa but with a new sense of the fantasy involved. Last year I well remember a young man in our Church who sat on my lap and whispered in my ear that he knew exactly who I was. I told him that was good. I then whispered back to him, "What do you want for Christmas?" Suddenly his smugness was gone and he was transported to the year before and with glassy eyes he began to name some items he was dreaming about. I see my photos appearing here and there. I've seen them on Christmas cards. I know those made at the studio will be sent all over. Grandma and Grandpa will look at them and their hearts will melt. I know it's not because of me but being a part of that experience is not a bad way to spend a few hours here and there. Knowing there are service men and women in far flung places who will log in to Facebook and see a video of their kids and I waving and wishing them a Merry Christmas makes this work a privilege. I wouldn't want Christmas without the truth about Christ but I also am thankful for the memories in my own life and for the opportunity to help make some that will be cherished in the years to come. Okay. That is it for today but we still have stuff to do, so lets get out there and get it done. Five layers? That boy would have had trouble hunting with my Paw Paw Mac, not to mention working on one side of the crosscut saw. See you next time and may God bless. Amen.          .....More later.

No comments: