Friday, December 9, 2011

What would you get if you ate the Christmas decorations? Tinselitis.

The question of the day. If you could invite someone famous to share a holiday meal with you and your family, who would it be? That's what we have to get us up and going for this beautiful Friday, December 9, 2011. This comes from a recent survey that asked this question to over 1,000 people. I don't have a way to do a drum roll on my keyboard although you can likely find one on the web and play it here if you like. The results: Jennifer Anniston was the one who received the most mentions, followed by the new Duchess of Cambridge, Kate, wife of Prince William who didn't even make the list. Number three was the ex-husband of Jennifer Anniston, Brad Pitt followed by Charlie Sheen, Ashton Kutcher, and Kim Kardashian. When asked about who you would like to attend your Christmas party, Rachel Ray, the TV cook, was the run away winner. Paula Dean, the Food Network star was mentioned the most as the cook wanted to prepare your meal. I don't know about you but I can't really identify with these choices. Yes, I do know who these people are and yes they have occupied the headlines from time to time, often for very unsavory reasons. I do understand the mindless preoccupation with celebrity in our culture but it is still surprising when you see it dominating so much of what constitutes life in these so called modern times. I'm not going to name my choices because I think we already have some very special folks coming to our family gathering, Lord willing, of course. I suppose the argument could center on our definition of famous and what each of us consider to be important in terms of identity and accomplishment. God listed some of His favorites in Hebrews Chapter 11. We might start by understanding the character and attributes He saw in those in His 'heroes of faith' listing. That would be a good place to start.

Because of what I view as an almost insane attraction to these types of folks, all 200 channels on our dish is often filled up with shows that reflect this mindless blather. The other day I clicked through until I almost came down with click-itis but I finally landed on one of the religious channels and they were showing reruns of The Lone Ranger, starring Clayton Moore as the masked ranger and Jay Silverheels as his faithful sidekick, Tonto. The TV series was on between 1949 to 1957, and since we got our first TV in 1955 or 56, well, these kinds of programs were obviously in my zone of interest. We would watch those programs as kids and then immediately we would go out and play by reenacting them. Of course playing cowboys and Indians is way out of the political correct posture of the day. I noticed when I tried to write Indian with a lower case 'i', my spell checker didn't like it. But, we played the games all in lower case not with any malicious motives. Yes, I know. That was at a different time and in a different world. Some of the language used even in the cartoons today is pretty shocking to me. I know slang is slang but do we really want our children to do that kind of trash talking? They will grow up choosing some of those folks listed above as their role models if their only point of reference comes from Hollywood. But, I know, I'm just an old fuddy duddy poppy concerned for my grand kids and what will become of them and their offspring. Maybe they will build relationships where they will have trusted friends they can call Ke-mo-sah-bee, which is how Tonto addressed the Lone Ranger. Trusted scout or trusted friend was his meaning and we all should hope to have folks like that in our lives.

I never promised my readers a rose garden or a fair and balanced view of the world. Only, the View From Here, nothing more, nothing less. I could easily offer even a stronger disclaimer. Like, I report but please don't decide based on what I have to say. We all have the responsibility to seek out the facts and make up our own minds. And, if we are honest with ourselves, we have to know that we have the potential for being wrong. I suppose one of the great disconnects that people see in those who profess a love of traditional values is how that we seem at times to exempt ourselves. For instance, we say we ought to get rid of this program and that program because of principle. However, we might be the first in line when it becomes our problem or need. See what I mean? People smell hypocrisy a mile away and when I am guilty of it, they rightly question my views on other subjects as well. I think I will quit now since I get the uncomfortable feeling that I might just be talking about myself. We are a fallen people, and it shows. Right? Amen. But thanks be to our Great God who loved us anyway and sent His one and only Son to live a perfect life and to give Himself up on that Old Rugged Cross. That wonderful song by the late Dottie Rambo comes to mind, "He looked beyond my fault and saw my need." In response, we can all say Amen, Hallelujah, Praise Him, for His wonderful provision. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll see you next time.   .....More later.

No comments: